Fort Myers

nsm1978

Jan 4, 2013
Hello Good Morning I'm headed to Florida (Fort Myers/Sanibel Island) Dec 14-23 to visit my parents. I'm bringing my AT PRO and wanted to do some hunting. Can you give me some advice? How is the soil in Florida in Dec? Is it hard? What are the rules about detecting in Florida? Can I go to Parks as well?? Can you recommend a sand scooper? Any historical places in Fort Myers I could go to??

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no shortage of areas to hunt here in Ft. Myers....Sanibel beaches will be very busy the week you are here, and the public beaches are being pounded, bring your Pro into the water for less competition.........do some research on getting a good scoop if you do hit the water, you wont need one if just hitting the drier sand. There is some mumbo-jumbo on the Lee County regulations about metal detecting public areas, but that's the same pretty much everywhere, best to find tot lots and the like, and make minimal impact on the surface. Any private property you get an ok on you will be met with very dry sand beneath the dormant turf, as our dry season is upon us, and the grass will not recover/grow for months to come, so you will need to be very careful not to damage the private lawns. As for historical areas, not much older than the 1920's.........The "Fort" of Ft. Myers is long gone, but the old Churches downtown could have some secrets. If you get a permission to hunt the Edison and Ford Estates, let me know, I've been bugging them for years, and have been told there is no chance in hades. Good luck, and enjoy Lee County, spend money, we love tourists!!haha

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
BigWaveDave, I'll be hitting the beaches of Estero Island from the pier southward to the big bend this Wed-Fri. Care to join me?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Friday is a possibility, I was planning on hitting up some new permissions in my neighborhood, downtown Ft. Myers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread