signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Florida Constitution - Section 11 - Sovereignty lands
"The title to lands under navigable waters, within the boundaries of the state, which have not been alienated, including beaches below mean high water lines, is held by the state, by virtue of its sovereignty, in trust for all the people. Sale of such lands may be authorized by law, but only when in the public interest. Private use of portions of such lands may be authorized by law, but only when not contrary to the public interest

Ok, this basically says that the beaches below the mean high tide land, belong to the people. Does anyone have any information about how it works when Municipal governments try to make ordinances on these lands? For example, I was on the beach today, walking below the high tide line, and approached by an officer who told me "the beach closes at 8pm". I was not in a city/county park or anything like that, I was on foot, walking along the water. I left, as I wanted to make sure I had my facts straight.

I found ordinances in this town that said certain public beach accesses are deemed "closed" at 8pm. I was not at one of the four mentioned accesses. Using the access however is not my concern, its just being not he beach. I don't know enough about the law, but I figure some people may have more experience here. In my case, its not even a question if "metal detecting" is allowed or not, as that's not the issue that was raised by the officer. It was simply a matter of whether or not I am allowed to be on the beach past 8pm. The area of beach I was on was just behind some condo's, I am sure one of the condo commandos called the officer and complained or something.

Any help is much appreciated!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread