Anyone near Orlando ? Near Kellyco ?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey Florida gang: KellyCo's headquarters is near Orlando. I was speaking recently to their P.R. customer rep "Ray Walker" recently. Was inquiring as to whether or not KellyCo had kept records and archives of their earlier days in business. Because they are said to have been in the mail-order metal detector business "since 1955". So .... as an enthusiast of vintage metal detector nostalgia, I began to wonder if perhaps this company had catalogs going back to their earlier days.

Ray checked with the company owners, and was led to a back room where .....yes in fact ..... something like 20 file cabinets do indeed exist!! However, he said that it is much too voluminous to digitize (unless there were some monetary incentive to them). However, he said that if a written proposal were given to him, he could pass it up the chain for approval. To allow for a walk-in visitor to perhaps browse the file cabinets. And to photograph whatever interested them.

Unfortunately I'm in California. And I realize the hobby/niche of "vintage detectors" is admittedly small, doh! But is there anyone near Orlanda that would be interested in visiting their location for this purpose ? I am willing to put together the written proposal to get their permission to start this ball rolling. All you'd need is a good digital camera, and an ability to quickly browse many file cabinets looking for select interesting items.

Specifically I was asking Ray about their company's earlier catalogs. But what he had come up with instead, was file after file after file of individual machine's brochures, schematics, instruction manuals, etc.... But those, as you can see, are from the manufacturer's of the products they were selling. And not necessarily the compendium kellyco itself's catalogs. Ray did find a single example of what he described as a "1960s" kellyco catalog, that was "40 pages". When I asked if they had those from the earlier days (1950s?), he said he suspected they did. But .... that he didn't have time to start digging through the entire collection. He had merely pulled out various select folders at random, to look at.

Is there anyone in Florida that cares to partner up, to introduce some select vintage stuff to the hobbyist's forums ?

thanx !

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Post-script:

Is there any other regional/Florida md'ing forums, that get more traffic / exposure than this one ?

I know, for example, in CA we have a forum specific to just CA issues/hunting. That .... contrast to the sub-tab on T'net, gets much much more posts/reads/inputs. So does Florida have any forums where more md'rs go to ?

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/Sorry meant pm you

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post-script:

Is there any other regional/Florida md'ing forums, that get more traffic / exposure than this one ?

I know, for example, in CA we have a forum specific to just CA issues/hunting. That .... contrast to the sub-tab on T'net, gets much much more posts/reads/inputs. So does Florida have any forums where more md'rs go to ?

The answer is no, there is no forum local or national that gets more traffic than TN, in fact TN gets 2.5 times more traffic than the next closest forum..

I live in Orlando and go to Kellyco a couple times a week.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ah, TH'r, I just PM'd you BEFORE I read this post of yours here. Doh. Ok, I'll be in contact with you shortly...

But in-so-far as forums question: what I meant was not traffic/usage of forums in general (because yes, T'net is amongst the highest trafficked). What I meant was: as in regional specific to *just* Florida issues. I mean, sure: this is a regional specific tab we're posting on here, of course (sub-section of the larger forum). But as you can see , not a lot of FL people necessarily go to this sub-section. And perhaps read and post on the larger general "beach" section, for instance.

hence I wondered if there was any other FL forums, that maybe I just wasn't aware of.

ok, will be contacting you shortly via pm. Thanx TH'r !

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ah, TH'r, I just PM'd you BEFORE I read this post of yours here. Doh. Ok, I'll be in contact with you shortly...

But in-so-far as forums question: what I meant was not traffic/usage of forums in general (because yes, T'net is amongst the highest trafficked). What I meant was: as in regional specific to *just* Florida issues. I mean, sure: this is a regional specific tab we're posting on here, of course (sub-section of the larger forum). But as you can see , not a lot of FL people necessarily go to this sub-section. And perhaps read and post on the larger general "beach" section, for instance.

hence I wondered if there was any other FL forums, that maybe I just wasn't aware of.

ok, will be contacting you shortly via pm. Thanx TH'r !
Sorry, I was aware you were talking about sub forum. I know of no Florida specific forum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread