zepher

Greenie
May 27, 2010
Indialantic, FL (Melbourne Beach)
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, Steve. Saw this was an older post but I was doing a "St Johns River" search and saw your post. Not sure if you've ever heard of Ft. Caroline.

Fort Caroline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---> Fort Caroline was the first French colony in the present-day United States. Established in what is now Jacksonville, Florida, on June 22, 1564, under the leadership of René Goulaine de Laudonnière, it was intended as a refuge for the Huguenots. ---> Very interesting story about the French and Spanish in the new world.

Treasure Hunters have been looking for Ribault's fleet --->

As for Ribault's fleet, all of the ships either sank or ran aground south of St. Augustine during the storm, and many of the Frenchmen onboard were lost at sea. Ribault and his marooned sailors were located by Menéndez with his troops and summoned to surrender. Apparently believing that his men would be well treated, Ribault capitulated. Menéndez then executed Ribault and several hundred Huguenots (French Protestants) as heretics at what is now known as the Matanzas Inlet. The atrocity shocked Europeans even in that bloody era of religious strife.[SUP][2][/SUP] A fort built much later, Fort Matanzas, is in the vicinity of the site. This massacre put an end to France's attempts at colonization of the southeastern Atlantic coast of North America.

... Classic story. Lots of info about it, here's a pretty good fiction story about it --->

The Scarlet Cockerel: C. M. Sublette: Amazon.com: Books

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
maple leaf sunk there, confederates had torpedoes in the river. would be nice to find one, but I image they were the barrel type. All rotted by now.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When they found the Maple Leaf, the hull was under 6 feet of mud. Once the mud was removed and access to the hold where cargo was stored. TH'ers found knapsack belonging to the Union troops who were being transported when the ship sank encased in mud. Mud has no oxygen so nothing rots or corrodes. Researchers found paper letters still legible and all sorts of items found in those knapsacks. Only about half of that ship contents has been recovered, its a ongoing process. The General Hunter sank nearby was loaded with quarter master supplies and if that hull can be found, muskets, ammunition, cannonballs and such will be preserved waiting for discovery. Even the old Torpedoes if any are left and are encased in the mud will be as good as the day they were made. I have pulled Iron spikes from a different site that were over 100 years old from mud and they were like new.

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was a volunteer diving support team member for years before being hired by St. Johns Archaeological Expeditions as the artifact Conservator for the Maple Leaf shipwreck excavation from 1993 - 1995. Not being a grinch here, I just want to point out a few misconceptions:
#1 - We were not TH'ers (Treasure Hunters). We did not sell a single artifact. All the artifacts went to the US Army Center for Military History, and to the State of Florida. Dr. Keith Holland, the project organizer and director, has a small display of artifacts in his office, and the Jacksonville Museum of Science and History sometimes displays Maple Leaf artifacts (but they usually have it stored, so they can have lots of bells and whistle gadgets for the kiddies, not much history on display there).
#2 - Although we did find parts of knapsacks (I excavated dozens: measured, sketched, photographed and preserved them). These knapsacks were located inside the soldier's foot lockers (odd boxes, not regulation/issue). No artifacts were found inside of knapsacks, rather the knapsacks were in tatters inside the foot lockers. Oh, and the silt is more like 14 feet deep, not 6 feet deep. It takes a week of dredging after setting up a silt barrier, just to get to the cargo hatch.
#3 - It is not an "ongoing thing". We stopped recovery operations in 1995. All artifacts were turned over to their proper authority that year (except for Dr. Holland's small display). But maybe, in the future, another excavation may be done.
#4 - The General Hunter was raised during the war. It's not there on the bottom of the river, just the Maple Leaf, and only about 5% of the cargo has been removed, not 50%
When they found the Maple Leaf, the hull was under 6 feet of mud. Once the mud was removed and access to the hold where cargo was stored. TH'ers found knapsack belonging to the Union troops who were being transported when the ship sank encased in mud. Mud has no oxygen so nothing rots or corrodes. Researchers found paper letters still legible and all sorts of items found in those knapsacks. Only about half of that ship contents has been recovered, its a ongoing process. The General Hunter sank nearby was loaded with quarter master supplies and if that hull can be found, muskets, ammunition, cannonballs and such will be preserved waiting for discovery. Even the old Torpedoes if any are left and are encased in the mud will be as good as the day they were made. I have pulled Iron spikes from a different site that were over 100 years old from mud and they were like new.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice write-up, Thommy. Tnx. TTC

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The memoirs of CSA Pvt Jasper Jackson Dykes,from Welatka,who served with Hopkins 4th Volunteers and later with Capt J J Dickinson's 2nd Florida Cavalry contain accounts of skirmishes with the Union,captured,scuttled,or sunk Union gunboats and CSA river blockade runners,and provides the locations of each event.A good resource.
Jasper Dykes Letter

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I've recently acquired the second copy sold that details the salvage of the Maple Leaf. Keep your eyes out at estate sales. You never know what you'll find.

Sale Items 009 (Small).JPG
Sale Items 010 (Small).JPG
Sale Items 011 (Small).JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread