emmette

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, BH Pinpointet
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I know this is a tired subject, but I was detecting on Jupiter beach the other day and a lady jogger stopped and said "I don't think you're allowed to do that here because of the relics and antiquities law". I've detected there several times and no one has challenged me, but frankly I've never gotten a reasonable explanation of Florida law on this subject. There's tons of misinformation out there. Help......anyone?

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
( abbreviated version) in your area of Florida generally speaking You are allowed to hunt the beaches from the foot of the Dune to the low tide line and that includes the beaches adjacent to the 1715 Fleet of Spanish shipwrecks. Not in the water

Inside State parks you are required to get written permission from the Park Ranger before you detect in the park. Some State Parks will allow metal detectors in the park.

Do not bring your metal detector into a National Park in Florida, this includes all beaches and waters adjacent to the National Park. In June 2005, the state of Florida did away with the Isolated Finds Program. The Isolated Finds Program provided the treasure hunter with the ability to keep a find as long as the state was provided with the location of the find. Now, it is against the law to recover and retain anything in state waters greater than 50 years old. credit : lee wiese

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... in your area of Florida generally speaking You are allowed to hunt the beaches from the foot of the Dune to the low tide line ....

Say it isn't so . Are you trying to say the nosy-busy-body lady that scolded our fellow-forumite wasn't correct ?

If it were me, I would have immediately apologized to her. Then tucked my tail between my legs, and considered it "gospel law". Anytime someone says "boo", we are all to shiver in fear I thought ? :laughing7:

OP
OP
emmette

emmette

Tenderfoot
Mar 5, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, BH Pinpointet
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I appreciate the feedback. My instinct has been to keep detecting the beach here, but didn't know if some rules had been put into place. I'll keep digging!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved this request from Help! over to Sub-Forums: Florida for more exposure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions