Visiting St Augustine this month for a week- where to hunt?

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm driving down to visit my in laws later this month.

I am going to bring my detectors and drag my father in law out with me somewhere to hunt.

He keeps telling me there is nothing to find in Florida but swamp and says all the good old stuff is up here.

Does anyone have a place we can go search besides just walking around on a beach? (I've never hunted a beach before, but imagine the finds aren't often interesting besides occasional ring, etc.)...

Not that I mind rings, but the odds are against us finding one in a day or 2 I would guess.

Would much rather hit a park, or even some curb strip / private permission.

If anyone can help us out, that would be great.

Thank you.

OP
OP
PowerDubs

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I’m here. Guess I’ll just walk around some beach.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
PowerDubs

PowerDubs

Oct 6, 2015
NWNJ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went to a beach one day, found a few pennies.

Went to a park yesterday and found only a few clad coins and a token.

Still have a few days left- looking for some place to hunt before I leave.

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I may be mistaken but I believe the entire city of St. Augustine has banned Metal Detectors.

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
I dont know what the boundries are but you are correct. The entire HISTORIC district of St. Augustine is off limits. They are very strict when it comes to digging....even if you own the land. Im interested in finding my first onion bottle....i'm fascinated by them. I just want to find one. Had a bottle expert give me some areas to look but it has to cool down a bit. It's where he found his. Im looking to go sometime in October if anyone would like to go, let me know.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I dont know what the boundries are but you are correct. The entire HISTORIC district of St. Augustine is off limits. They are very strict when it comes to digging....even if you own the land. Im interested in finding my first onion bottle....i'm fascinated by them. I just want to find one. Had a bottle expert give me some areas to look but it has to cool down a bit. It's where he found his. Im looking to go sometime in October if anyone would like to go, let me know.

You missed out on some prime hunting by a few years. The City of St. Augustine undertook a massive infrastructure improvement with new water and sewer lines on the Riberia Street corridor. They just didn't trench for the line work, but opted to redo the entire street. They dug down deep and moved the overburden to the old FPL substation property. You could just walk on a Sunday and eyeball the pottery and glass.

bparks

Greenie
Apr 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm down if you still need a buddy. I'm about 30 minutes south of St Augustine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread