Ya'll watch what you're doing = 'Monster' diamondback rattlesnake spotted in Florida

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
'Monster' diamondback rattlesnake spotted in Florida | Fox News

1522772077853.jpg

Derek Tyson and his family first spotted the rattler on Sunday, he told Fox News. (Derek Tyson )

A massive Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake was spotted in Florida over the weekend.

The snake slithered across a 10-foot golf cart path near the K9s For Warriors facility in Ponte Vedra, according to Derek Tyson, who first spotted the rattler.

DZt6vX1X0AE9y_K.jpg

Tyson told Fox News on Tuesday that he was out for a drive with his wife and 5-month-old child when the family noticed the “monster” serpent.

“We drove by it, but did a U-turn and came back to take pictures,” he said.

Tyson said that he’s seen several other snakes in the area before, but Sunday marked the first time he’s ever seen an Eastern Diamondback.

“[The rattlesnake] hasn’t affected any of our operations of any of our dogs, it’s not [currently] a threat to us,” Brianna Ehrhart, the education coordinator for K9s for Warriors, told Fox News.

However, Ehrhart said that this is the first time a rattler has been spotted so close to the organization’s grounds.

“Safety is always at the forefront,” she said, adding that grounds maintenance has been made aware of the serpent.

The sighting comes just days after an Oakleaf woman spotted a roughly 6-foot rattler, according to News4Jax.

Dan Maloney, the deputy director at Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens, told Fox News that it’s not uncommon to see rattlesnakes in Jacksonville, adding that Eastern Diamondbacks are just one of the many types of rattlers in the state. Locals will have a greater chance of spotting a rattlesnake as spring temperatures continue to climb, he said.

If you do come across one of the serpents, Maloney said it’s best to leave it alone and call a removal service. People with pets and small children should especially keep their distance, he added.

“They don't want to encounter you if they don't have to -- they would rather save their venom for something they’re going to eat rather than having to fight someone off,” he said. “Give them as much space as you can.”

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen them here like that many times...

The monster was the one I came across at Honeymoon Island trail...

Head was on one side of trail in the brush...

And the tail was on into the other side IN the brush...

thought it was a python it was so big...

Was not moving...

I stepped back and saw a very long skinny branch and tried to divert it back into trail by putting the tip of the branch ahead of where I thought the head would be...
to get it to back out to get a better look at its face...

but once it started moving...

3 realizations hit me all at the same time....

IN this order...

"Hey it has a light diamond pattern on its back."

"whoa... that a rattle that just started ? "

" #%%@ ITS NOT A PYTHON ! "

I dropped the stick and took several steps back.

He just kept going... was not gonna stop without it getting ugly.

====================================

PS... On another note...

In the past three years I have known several people who have lost dogs... large dogs to a rattler here.

Also heard a K9 dog was bit... but got help soon enough and made it.

Don't hear of any people lately though.

But be aware in ANY brush or wooded or etc... areas here.

Last edited:

8Keeper

Nov 5, 2017
Daytona, FL
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you are going to spend any amount of time in the Florida bush Invest in a good pair of waterproof snake boots! If it is an occasional venture you can pick up snake gators for around 35 buck. Diamond backs are pretty laid back and docile if not messed with. Their little cousin the pygmy is what you need to worry about. They truly have Napoleon Syndrome.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Knucklehead trying a "selfie" with rattlers. Should have charged him triple.
Jim

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Knucklehead trying a "selfie" with rattlers. Should have charged him triple. Jim

The danged snake bit him on the arm!

Just what kind of "selfie" was he doing? He's a danged idiot!

RattlerBite-793x526.jpg

SeArkHunter

Greenie
Mar 19, 2018
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is an old caved in storm cellar across the road from my grandpa's that snakes love. I've seen a many of large timber rattlers come out of it. There was one ran over and killed by a car a few years back that was 6'5" long and had 18 rattles and a button.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live with an assortment of rattlers here in East Tennessee, Black rattlers, Pygmy, Diamondback, Timber, along with Copperheads, and Cottonmouths. I was Copperhead bitten 3 years ago clearing out brush, and I like them least of all as they will lay there and not move until you are right on top of them and then BANG! Be careful out there!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kyden's medical fund is a good one to donate to. I did.
Jim

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
I am originally from Sarasota Florida and many years ago I was at a gas station east of Sarasota and saw a Ford 250 pickup pull up to the pumps. He had a "custom bumper" on the front of the truck and wrapped around the two "I beam" frames coming from under the truck was a HUGE diamondback rattler with it's tail and head tied in a square (or granny) knot. I would guess the snake was at least 8 to 9 feet long. The cowboy said he was going to skin the snake and use it for hat bands.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was 12 I was popped by a copperhead. I immediately rolled backwards away from it and went hollering for my stepfather. I was squatting in the chicken pen fixing holes in the fence, wearing brand new unwashed jean back when jeans were serious quality.

The fangs could only penetrate far enough to just scratch me, the denim was tight to my knees and that's where it hit me.

My parents took me to the emergency room, the doctors gave me an anti-venom shot and then just observed me.

I've run over copperheads in my yard here with my riding mower, and early in my retirement here on the farm I was kneading the soil in one of my raised beds and pulled up one by the tail - I didn't know they'd travel underground as well.

Be careful out there - be one of the lucky ones!

kudzu74

Jul 31, 2018
MiSSiSSiPPi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 & Garrett Pro pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all need to stop messin' with the lil' itty bitty snakes...as they say 'Everything is BIGGER in Texas!' But I will say this...those little pygmies scare me the most. My folks live in Ormond Beach north of Daytona and they tend to get those in their neighborhood a lot. Always has me looking under the vehicles before walking in or out of their house.:thumbsup:

Hillbilly Prince

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2018
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in sw Missouri my brother stepped out of the shower and immediately heard something heavy drop in the tub. He turned to see a huge timber rattler in the tub. The beast was about four feet long and mad. We finally got him out and into a bucket to be taken out of town.
I used to run across black snakes when we lived on a small farm.
A couple near six feet. I would catch them and let them coil around my arm.
I don't like to see snakes killed if it is not necessary. Not scared of snakes but very respectful!

Happy_Hour

Feb 26, 2011
My Camper Van.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher 1266, Teknetics Turbo.
oes Medicare cover snake antivenom?

She needed 18 vials of antivenin to treat the bite. She's on Medicare, and as of this spring, the federal government will pay up to $2,493 per vial — in her case, a total cost of nearly $45,000.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread