Post-Dorian metal detecting on the Treasure Coast of Florida - 1715 Fleet

TravelingDan

Aug 31, 2019
Largo, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Dan, 59 years old, from the Clearwater-Largo, Florida area, and just purchased my first metal detector on Saturday - a Minelab Excalibur II with a lightweight straight shaft. I've been doing my research on the 1715 Fleet wrecks and have familiarized myself with the laws that apply to metal detecting in Florida and specifically along the Treasure Coast.

I'm planning to head to the east coast after Hurricane Dorian passes and would very much welcome and appreciate any general as well as specific information, tips and pointers, on the use and recommended initial settings for my metal detector, when I should plan to arrive to get maximum benefit of the weather, while still being safe, and when and where I can expect to get access to the island. If anyone else reads this and is heading over from the Tampa area, or some point in between, I wouldn't mind buddying up with a more experienced (you couldn't be LESS experienced! lol) person, or meeting up with someone on the east coast.

Also, if you are on the Treasure Coast, and there are specific types of post-Dorian supplies in addition to water, i plan to load up my pickup truck bed - assuming we aren't completely sold out on this coast too!

Stay safe, everyone on the east coast!

Dan

Billieg

Jul 19, 2019
Deltona Fl
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro - Teknetics T2 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Dan, 59 years old, from the Clearwater-Largo, Florida area, and just purchased my first metal detector on Saturday - a Minelab Excalibur II with a lightweight straight shaft. I've been doing my research on the 1715 Fleet wrecks and have familiarized myself with the laws that apply to metal detecting in Florida and specifically along the Treasure Coast.

I'm planning to head to the east coast after Hurricane Dorian passes and would very much welcome and appreciate any general as well as specific information, tips and pointers, on the use and recommended initial settings for my metal detector, when I should plan to arrive to get maximum benefit of the weather, while still being safe, and when and where I can expect to get access to the island. If anyone else reads this and is heading over from the Tampa area, or some point in between, I wouldn't mind buddying up with a more experienced (you couldn't be LESS experienced! lol) person, or meeting up with someone on the east coast.

Also, if you are on the Treasure Coast, and there are specific types of post-Dorian supplies in addition to water, i plan to load up my pickup truck bed - assuming we aren't completely sold out on this coast too!

Stay safe, everyone on the east coast!

Dan

Welcome Dan
First, any experienced hunter will know the storm wasn't big enough to do much damage to the beaches.
Second, There will be a hundred new guys like you out there searching.
Third, an experienced hunter won't want to drag along a newbie if the beach is giving up Spanish coins.
So go and try your luck and learn. Make sure you have water and bail money. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread