vero beach

bbqcook

Apr 24, 2006
Detector(s) used
Soveriegn GT, DFX, Ace 250
I believe you can hunt the beach from low tide line to the toe of the dune on any beach there till you get to Sebastian inlet.
Sebastian inlet is a state park and no MD'ing. Wabasso area should be good, not allowed to hunt in the water there.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You could hunt in Sebastian Inlet State park last time I was there! I have seen quite few people hunting the beach there. But it is all pumped sand. The only places you cant hunt in those areas are in the water. If the staties/police, etc, see you in the water, they will fine you. The reason is because of the leases, most of the water from Sebastian Inlet south to West Palm Beach is under contract with the state by several folks. You really have to know where these are to be able to detect in the water.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Oh forgot-fill in all your holes, and dont dig into the dune!

Idig4beer

Dec 23, 2007
Lebanon, oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Fortune Hunter
::) :o Hi Raider.Don't know if this will help,but years ago I lived in Stuart(1956-1963)Thats when Fla. was not so boomimg, and a fun place to live.Anyhooooo! There used to be a old wooden bridge that went from JensenBeach over to Hucthinson Island.At that time there were no homes or condos on the island from FtPierce-to Swealls point.The only public beach was right accross from Jensen Beach. There was a small "Snack Bar " there and that was it.Alot of people used the beach at the time.The only road was a narrow sand road that went all the way to the end (Swealls Point.)The "House of Refguee" was the only building on the island.We use to go down that road alot, camp on or near the beach.If you can find a old city map of Jensen Beach(1955-1965) thay should have the beach info there.Maybe some old photos of the snack shop??? There should be alot of booty there even today.PS. Most of the people that went to the beach only use a small area to sunbathe. I haven't been there in many years(I live in Oregon), but hope this helped you out. See Ya Idig

OP
OP
R

raidersfans4

Apr 18, 2005
iowa
thanks to all,i'm stuck in frozen iowa,i've got cabin fever bad,i'm going to take a week in feb. to hunt . sounds like plenty to hunt at the beaches there.thanks again raider

Holiday

Jan 20, 2008
As regards hunting in the ocean...the Fishers bye the water leases from the State, every year, from Cape Canaveral down to the Keys...from low mean tide out [I believe] to 1 1/2 miles. To 'legally' dive off shore you have to pay them $1000 to become a "Subcontractor" for them. [A 52 page contract] As far as I'm concerned...they are doing to us what the State did to Mel, back in the 60's. They should be ashamed!

Holiday

Jan 20, 2008
Something I forgot....Isearch4beer, the snack bar has been gone for 30 years :'(...Jensen Beach and to the N are condos. You cannot get to Bathtub beach from Stuart beach anymore, as one now has to take another route around the condos, to the House of Refuge...and from there to the inlet are private homes. I remember those days and times ain't like that no more! >:(

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
raidersfans4 said:
thanks to all,i'm stuck in frozen iowa,i've got cabin fever bad,i'm going to take a week in feb. to hunt . sounds like plenty to hunt at the beaches there.thanks again raider

Hey Raider: Drop me a PM as to when you'll be there. I'll be in Ft. Pierce for Feb/March. Have hunted a few Hutchinson Island beaches near FP & Jensen Beach, but not Vero or Sebastian yet. I'm no beach expert; maybe we can hook up & you can give me some pointers 8)

Dick

Holiday

Jan 20, 2008
Thanks wreckdiver for the clarification of 'salvage' and 'search' leases. But are you saying the Fishers haven't purchased "all" those leases? The info Taffi gave me said otherwise, which means 'legally' they are keeping the "little" guy out of 'any' area down the coast, out to the reefs. Each lease area is not that big, and to outlaw a metal detector out from 3000' of its center is pretty much the whole lease. I agree that they have done much to help, but let me search on my own...hopefully find something, and work out my own lease with the state, without them [Fishers] cutting into whatever the State allows me to keep. [Thats just my take on the matter] You said there are 5 undiscovered Galleons from the 1715 fleet? I'm curious as to where you got this information. The 35+ years of intel I have gathered on them reveal '11' for sure, and '1' not for sure Galleons in that fleet of two groups. One group 'manifest' clearly describes 6, but the other is ambiguous as to whether there were 5 or 6 ships. Eleven have been found...and allot of speculation circulates on the twelfth. The weather was turning and I was headed in at the end of the day when I decided to follow up on the directions of an old timer, now deceased, who claimed he came across it in 1947. I was blown away as I saw Gold peppered on the bottom...just before the first hurricane hit. Later, I checked one more 'key' piece of evedence he gave me, which I found. Now, I am sure I know the location of the 12th. But there is a 'catch 22' type conundrum attached. If I ever figure out how to circumvent it, you'll see my smiling face in one of these posts.

Holiday

Jan 20, 2008
Thanks for the link, Wreckdiver...however, I have never heard Mr. Weller claim there were 17 treasure ships in the 1715 fleet. At least 9 have been found with two probables. The King of Spain always demanded 3 sets of manifests, from each ship, to at least be somewhat knowledgeable of their cargo [less contraband]. The records from Havana claim General Don Antonio de Echeverz y Zubiza was the commander of the Gallions. His fleet contained 6 ships, and after waiting 8 months, General Don Juan Eseban de Ubilla finally arrived with only four of his original 8 vessels. These 10 ships were accompanied by a French warship [Grif'on] commanded by Captain Antonio Darie. According to the Archives of Seville, legajo 2902, these '12' vessels left Havana on July 24. There was Echeverz's 'Capitana' [Nuestra Senora del Carmen, his 'Almiranta', the 'Nuestra Senora de Concepcion', with the 'el Ciervo', San Miguel, and a patache 'recording' no treasure [It is 'his' documents that may indicate an additional ship], bringing the vessel count to 6. Ubilla's flota of four...his 'Capitana' [Nuestra Senora de la Regala], 'Almiranta', the 'Refuerzo' [Urca de Lima], and a 'patache', which brings the count to 10. Adding the 'Grif'on makes the total 11. All were sunk on July 30, less the only surviving ship, the 'Grif'on. The wrecks called 'Cabin', 'Anchor', 'Cannon', 'Corrigan', 'Rio Mar', 'Sandy Point', 'Douglas Beach', S32, 'Gold Colored', plus two probables, all from 1715 make 11. Even removing the two in question doesn't leave 5 missing vessels. Perhaps someone is counting the four lost ships of Ubilla, as I can't fathom how Bob could or would rewrite history. Also...I cannot reveal the location of my find at this time. As I said...There is a big catch 22.

Holiday

Jan 20, 2008
I said.."Are you serious"....because your "reiteration" of what was said was....well... "reiteration! OK...There was a bit of misunderstanding as to how many ships sailed. You agree with eleven...yet you claim "5" are still missing? Wreckdiver1715... I don't get this! You claim you do not work for the Fishers...yet you speak for them? This name has become famous, because of "Mel" and easy to latch onto. I knew him.. and privately discussed certain "issues" with him. I don't mean disrespect...so I will directly ask you...do the Fishers own leases from the Cape...down to the Keys! [You have stated.."No"] You post "only" 6...1715 sites found..when there are '9' confermed?? Whats up with that? You also intimate there are "no" leases bought by the Fisher's down this coast? Wreckdiver...This is BS! You obviously have detailed knowledge of this area...however, when discussing this subject...you seem to be a Fisher puppet. Please! I Wanna add one point out of respect...the late Ray Lorenz was the...eccentric... who introduced me as a youth to this addiction [PLVS VLTRA, Vol.25 #1]

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holiday, You are absolutely correct, all of these wrecks were found years ago, and the treasures from all those ships has long since been removed. The story is as old as the hills, old miners have been salting old played out mines forever.

You find an old Spanish wreck, and end up with a warehouse full of old junk jewelry that you can't sell. Get people to invest a large sum of money, then give them some supposed treasure and tell them it's worth twice what they invested.

At least I can still use my boat for fishing! Anyone want to buy some used treasure salvage equipment?

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I count just six "definites" myself.

I won't give them actual ship names because the truth is, NOBODY knows for sure, although everyone likes to speculate.

Cabin Wreck
Corrigans
Rio Mar
Sandy Point
Urca de Lima
Colored Beach

The "Anchor" site is a location where a galleon anchor and some treasure & artifacts have been found. There is no ballast pile there, although there is another wreck nearby.

The "Cannon" wreck was probably a vessel that was salvaging one of the 1715 wrecks at a later date and wrecked itself. Shouppe, who discovered it, often referred to it as a "pirate wreck."

S32 is about a 3 mile lease area the encompasses "Chuck's Steak House/Bonsteel Park" where lots of 1715 coins, esp. 1 and 2 reales, have been found on the beach. No ballast pile or any substantial artifacts have been found offshore.

Douglas beach, aka Colored Beach aka the Gold Wreck are all the same shipwreck site.

HRD Inc. more than likely has one of the smaller 1715 pataches in their lease area in north Vero, based on the number of artifacts and parts of the ship itself that have been found-but that is not conclusive.

Rex Stocker (Heartland Treasure Quest) may have a 1715 wreck up in Brevard near Indialantic-but that is not conclusive either. Tiger Shores...eh, I dunno. Seems everyone that finds a few coins or a UEO thinks they have a 1715 shipwreck (or at least, they want investors to think so). The truth is, there were a number of ships lost along the Florida coast in the 1700's. There is some pretty strong archival evidence that one of the 1715 ships did make it all the way up to Amelia Island before capsizing.

Wreckdidver1715, I know you are being faceitious.....and I hope you find the Concepcion oneday! (ooops, no names sorry-I meant the wreck south of the Cape)

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me! facetious! Never ;D LOL
Come on Tom! you know their are no 1715 wrecks near the Cape!

Thank's for the clarification, and the back up on the 1715 fleet issue! You splained it much better than I.

Are you working with the crew of the Conquistador again this year? I must say I was very impressed on how fast that team put that operation together, and put that boat in the water.

Good luck to you this season, and "Splash" back at ya!

Tom

Holiday

Jan 20, 2008
Well...thanks for that info. I guess I'm not too old [cough] to learn something new. Tom. Is it true you're courting my girl? [Santissima]

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holiday said:
Well...thanks for that info. I guess I'm not too old [cough] to learn something new. Tom. Is it true you're courting my girl? [Santissima]

Holiday, no problem - ID'ing these ships has been problematic at best, and doing the research was frustrating to say the least.

Now about Santissima - No! I would never court another man's girl. However, I am seeing her younger sister who lives next door to me. ;)

Tom

vulcan007

Dec 4, 2007
ahoy mateys!

some forem fellas claimin that a lost 1715spaniesh wrecka wes found in tha emilia island coast. tha winda frm tha hurricaine coulda push tha ship north 150 miles...or more. tha storey is hardar to beleive fer this olde shippmate. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread