Clearwater beach

meathead

Greenie
Jan 16, 2008
North Of Tampa
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70
whats the best time to go MD I see that parking is open till 1am, has anyone gone late at night like 10 pm,
how do the other MDers handle when they see someone new on the beach, thats why I would like to go at night so there won't be so many there in the am.

I was looking at a small beach in pasco I think it was Greenkey when the tide was low you could walk out 200 yards is that a good time to go when you can walk way out. I am getting a X-terra 70 so I know I can't get it to wet, i think it says up to 20" in the water.

Thanks I am going to be looking for someone that I can go out with and maybe learn from

Meathead

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually hunt Clearwater Beach from about 10 a.m. til 5 or 6 p.m. The folks down there are pretty cool for the most part. You get 1 or 2 that you wave to and they don't wave back, stuff like that. No big deal.

DiggingFl

Oct 4, 2006
North FL.
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer XS and X-Terra 50
I hunt it at night form time to time. Havent had any problems. Parking is high if you use the main parking lot though.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time you can beach hunt is "a good time to hunt", with that said low tides are usually better as you can go father out. I try to start my hunt 3 hours or more before low tide.

Most of the items I have found in the water was between ankle and waist deep, but remember that range can be found at several different distances from the shore depending on various sandbars.

On East coast we try to look for holes in the water where riptides or surf has tore up the beach floor, it is in these holes we find the most jewelry as items usuallunder several feet of sand is close to surface then. Example you walk out, go from ankle deep to waist deep or deeper in a couple steps, then walk 20 to 40 yards and your back to midcalf to knee deep.

Good luck and good hunting....

G

gamiller

meathead I sent you a private message about parking, hope it helps

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from this area.
Question, I had understood you weren't allowed to hunt in the water
Please advise
thanks so much
any one hunted the safety harbor area?
Rich in history

G

gamiller

bradyboy said:
I'm from this area.
Please advise
thanks so much
Rich in history
I've seen people hunt in the water, and i never heard you couldn't

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt in the water no problem.......

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
bradyboy said:
I'm from this area.
Please advise
thanks so much
Rich in history

It depends on which coast your hunting on. It's true, the east coast is mostly off limits in the water due to active treasure leases. The west coast is different, nothing active along the west coast line that would preclude going into the water.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only a small portion on the East coas,t where in the water is off limits, (Treasure Beaches) most is open.

Salvor007

Dec 17, 2007
That's not true. There are a number of prohibited areas from Melbourne all the way down past Hillsboro Inlet I believe. The Fishers are not the only ones with exploration and salvage permits.

Write to the Bureau of Archaeological Research and they should be able to provide you with a list and map of active leases.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
most is open.

Salvor007,

No offense, but I did not say that was all, only that most of the Eastern coast beach area is open for detecting. The area off limits to detecting is a small postion of the total Florida east coast.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so the bottom line is?
I can detect in the water of the west coast of Florida?
Tampa bay area (where I live)

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
bradyboy said:
so the bottom line is?
I can detect in the water of the west coast of Florida?
Tampa bay area (where I live)

Yes, except in the State Park adjacent waters, or on an archaeological site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread