Crystal River

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Just spent the last week at Crystal River at an RV park on the south side of the river. Went to the only beach in the area and it is man made and raked regularly. It was full of beachgoers the other day and I hit the whole beach around sunset and found a whole dime!!! I have never seen such a clean area. Not even poptops! I went a block north to the launch ramp and found all manner of clad, weights on the small beach during low tide so this area looks like it hasn't been worked recently or overlooked but no treasure. I did find two silver crosses back on the beach though a few days earlier. Both looked like they were there for awhile.

Off to Carrabelle for the next three days up in the panhandle and then to Perdido Key for two weeks. Maybe better luck there. Any suggestions on areas to hunt in those areas?

Terry

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Haoleman said:
Just spent the last week at Crystal River at an RV park on the south side of the river. Went to the only beach in the area and it is man made and raked regularly. It was full of beachgoers the other day and I hit the whole beach around sunset and found a whole dime!!! I have never seen such a clean area. Not even poptops! I went a block north to the launch ramp and found all manner of clad, weights on the small beach during low tide so this area looks like it hasn't been worked recently or overlooked but no treasure. I did find two silver crosses back on the beach though a few days earlier. Both looked like they were there for awhile.

Off to Carrabelle for the next three days up in the panhandle and then to Perdido Key for two weeks. Maybe better luck there. Any suggestions on areas to hunt in those areas?

Terry

lots of places up here to hunt

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Made one last trip to the beach before we left yesterday and found a gold ring!!! ;D As the beach was so clean I set the Excalibur at 1 on the disc setting. The ring was about 8" down. I was amazed at how soft the sound was but different. It dropped out at around 11. Almost didn't dig it but glad I did. Now I wonder if I missed other gold items? Had been setting the disc at about 13 to just eliminate poptops. Seems the gold discriminates out below the aluminum poptops. I'm still learning here and having a blast doing it. The beach here at Carrabelle hasn't produced. not much here since the hurricanes. Tried St George island too but mostly just single family homes and just a few pennys This is off season and mostly deserted. Also lots of signs saying to stay off the dunes. $5000.00 fine if caught disturbing. I'm probably just in the wrong place.

Terry

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haoleman,

If you have been hunting with your disc set at 13 you have almost certainly disc out some gold among other things.....

Not sure why you set it that high, I never set mine above 1 to 1.5, most times I set it to 0. I would rather dig a hundred poptops then lose a gold ring, especially with gold over $900 an oz....................

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I was setting it that high as the Apopka Lake was so trashy I couldn't move 6" without another beer can or poptop. It sure makes a big difference setting it low when the area hunted is pretty clean. I'm still in the learning curve with it and getting better.

Terry

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
ley me know when your in the NW area, I'll try to steer you onto a few good spots water here is 58 as of yesterday.

OP
OP
H

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
Arrived at Perdido Key today and as soon as the motorhome was set up I hit the beach. Not much here as the place was wiped out by Ivan in 2004. I found a few coins near the water and decided to work up toward the dune restoration. I hit some great pieces of history. 2 50 cal shells with live primers but no bullets and a piece of an airplane skin! I am really stoked! The shells were dated 1942 and 1943. I have two weeks here so I can't wait to find some great areas to hunt here.

Terry

Dan1981

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2014
Gainesville, fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter mark ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am headed to crystal river and new to detecting. I just purchased a Garrett sea hunter mark ii. Thanks for any help

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
That beach gets detected & re-sanded often. I have never found much there , but a friend found a silver ring a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Dan1981

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2014
Gainesville, fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett sea hunter mark ii
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks captain,

I imagine it does get worked over but there is a pretty strong tide during certain times of the year. Didn't know if anyone was familiar with the area or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread