Clearwater beaches

Apr 7, 2006
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites, Eagle Spectrum XLT
We (our family) will be taking a vacation to Clearwater Fla. in the next few weeks. I would really like to do some MD'ing on the beaches there and just want to ask if there are any specific rules or regulations that I should be aware of. Do I have to get permission first prior to detecting on the beach? Are there any time constraints (like you can only go at dawn or dusk) or anything like that I need to be aware of. Are most of the beaches and areas on the beach ok to MD on? Thanks for any info. you can provide. I just hope I don't have to pawn my MD while in route just to have gas money!!!!!!! (would never do that, would have to walk it)

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if in the water, shuffle your feet. that means shuffle your feet. stingrays are numerous and if you step on one, you'll wish you "shuffled your feet". The sun is brutal after 10 a.m til dusk, use plenty sunscreen, a wide brim hat, some cheap chinese made walmart purchased wading shoes, hunt your heart out and good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davest said:
if in the water, shuffle your feet. that means shuffle your feet.  stingrays are numerous and if you step on one, you'll wish you "shuffled your feet". The sun is brutal after 10 a.m til dusk, use plenty sunscreen, a wide brim hat, some cheap chinese made walmart purchased wading shoes, hunt your heart out and good luck. 

I was down there this morning and most of last week.  There are stingrays everywhere.  They move away from you when your coil gets near them but I still shuffle my feet.  They don't bother you.

On Monday morning a Manatee swam up to me.  When I saw this object the size of my sofa approaching me I thought the end was near.  Then all of a sudden this head popped up out of the water.  I could have rubbed his/her head, it was so close to me.  It was a beautiful experience.  Also, be careful about entering the water really early in the morning.  Wait for sunrise then move in.  If you get their early enough you will see things that will stick in your mind forever and you'll probably never enter the water again....and I will leave it at that.

You will also see dolphin swimming/fishing close by. 

have fun while you're there, you'll have a great time.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread