Cape Canaveral and Cocoa Beach getting the dreaded beach rake

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I read in a local paper today that Cocoa Beach and Cape Canaveral are waiting for the delivery of a special tractor to pull a mechanical beach-rake to "further the effort in keeping our beaches clean". :(

That will certainly have an impact on the hobby. The only saving grace is that they will not use the rake during the turtle nesting season.

Ray S

Attachments

• Beach Rake.JPG
    Beach Rake.JPG
    11.6 KB · Views: 287

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't think the rake will interfere with the targets that much, most good targets sink deeper then the teeth of the rake.

If they wanted to do something about the trash they could just enforce the laws on littering and start ticketing people for throwing or leaving their trash on the beach. Make all cans and glass on the beach illigal (plastic okay), and littering fines for throwing cigarette butts on the ground.

Dirty Knees McGee

May 5, 2005
Sunny Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 w/ 6.5x9, 9x12, & EXcelerator 10x14 DD coils
Don't worry about the rake at all. When I lived in Massachusetts, they would rake Revere Beach almost every other day in the summer and I found all sorts of good finds. It'll be alright, I promise!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do the beach rakes look like?

Do they do anything else to beaches?

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Pensacola Beach got a couple of those bastages shortly after Hurricane Ivan in 2004. It's pretty hard to find good loot unless you go immediately after a storm or have a large coil for deep targets. You just know the guys operating those things are literally "raking it in" ;D.

Pcola

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions