"Old" army sand pit ---Battle of natural bridge

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
"Old" army sand pit ---Battle of natural bridge

I'll try to keep this simple.My sisters father -in law "owns" the land that used to be the entry to a fort.He still has the original packer that was hooked to mules or horses that they used to pack the sand down so the wagons could back down in there is what I was told anyways,(I seen the sandpit,its the real deal) there is an OLD well that has been filled in by someone that he says has a wood bottom(Dont ask me why).He says that the old st.marks railroad used to go through his land and drop off salt in exchange for who knows what.I dont know ,but this is what he tells me.Do any of you think it is worth trying out my luck on his land?He told me to do whatever I want to.All I have is an ole cheapy metal detecter.But I have had a blast with it so far!!!Over $250 worth of "junk",I'll buy the good one with stuff I found with this one!

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Re: "Old" army sand pit ---Battle of natural bridge

Do you have the time for it? Seems like the main question. There are many places I would like to detect; but I have this "job" that cuts into my treasure-hunting time.

By careful shopping you may be able to turn your $250 into a top-line detector from one of the major manufacturers. Good used, rebuilt, etc.

Good luck & Happy Hunting!

Chip V.

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

Well, I have the time since I'm self employed.But I guess what I meant to say it should I wait till I have a "good" MD or just go ahead and scan over it with my cheapy?I have been learning the signals it puts out,On 14k rings, it puts out an "iron" signal.On a 10k ring, it puts out a aluminum signal.Do all detectors do the same thing?Its alot of land to cover,so I dont want to pass up the good stuff because it says iron.Thanks for the reply.....

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007

Mr Jody,

I sent you a pm, you will need old maps and spend some time at the county courthouse or library in your area looking for the order of battle, I have looked at some of the maps regarding the civil war battle in your area. Do you need help? You will also need a recent topographical map and maybe an ex-military person with map reading skills to help you.

Dave

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

Thanks Dave.Well, I have been doing a "little" research........
seems there was an old bank building that was torn down and forwhatever reason,the material was dumped all over this land.I suppose it was the closest private land back in the day, I dont know.BUT,I have been over there goofing off a couple of times,Found a BUNCH of old tin(roof) about 8 inches under the ground.Dont know where it came from, but its there..lol I dug it up and thought I hit the big one, which I did, the big pile of junk! Covered it right back up too!!
My cheapy bounty hunter just aint going to do it there, it even picks up tree roots for crying out loud!..lol
I havent been into the sandpit yet, I do know there is a 56 chevy truck he pushed off into it,befor he knew what he had(the land)So who know what lies beneith the surface over there.
Jody
EDIT::::::well, the guys family absolutly had a fit the last time i was over there MD'ing.Noone even lives on the land, but apparently all the family ownes the land.So until he gets it straighted out or I talk to them, I cant get back over there... >:(

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

first to I believe to know for sure what is below you 100 percent you have to dig it. Even with a high end machine.

next while you talking to them can I have the truck? 8) :thumbsup: I let you use my DFX while I drag it out :wink:

OP
OP
Mr.Jody

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver

You dont want it.....It looks like it came from the ocean bottom,...LOL
I have been over 'by' this place in the back 40,interesting stuff indeed.... :-X

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library

Mr.Jody said:
You dont want it.....It looks like it came from the ocean bottom,...LOL
I have been over 'by' this place in the back 40,interesting stuff indeed.... :-X

darn restoring a 56 chevy truck right now could use one for parts

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

if you have to ask, maybe you should leave it for someone else

LOL, kidding.
go for it, I would try both sides of the main gate outside the post. troops and vendors had to wait outside until given permission to enter by the commander.
then I would try around visible foundations or structures, possible hitching rail locations, paths to the latrines, etc.

good luck

Sniffer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread