Seminole War Forts

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Gentlemen,

Please google;

"Map of the seat of war in Florida, compiled by General Zachary Taylor 1839", you will see that the strategy of the day was to locate forts in 20 mile grid squares. There are Seminole war forts all over Florida, some are known and some are not known. Please report back to the board your findings within your area. I think if you look at some of relicdude's posts in other sections you will see what can be found. Good luck and research is where you start before going out to try and find something. I am sure that you will stumble on a French, Spanish or possibly a civil war site in Florida. Many forts are lost and waiting to be discovered, they were mostly wooden forts abandoned because of sickness, Indians or orders to move out. In my research I have found the same fort in three different locations, some forts were just called by a number, some forts were occupied and abandoned numerous times. Some forts were used by many different countries. Try to understand the Fort King highway and how it was used, understand how the U.S. took Florida from Spain, understand the Dade massacre and the battle of the Wahoo Swamp to name a few. I found the cut in the river where Moniac was killed by the Seminoles. Find some topographical maps, use google satellite maps and study the history of your area. Lets compare notes in two weeks.

Arm

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Mr Jody,

You are near Fort Macomb, Fort Stansbury, Fort Lawson and Fort Wacissa, you should hit a library in Tally and look these Forts up. I am sure some of them are parks, some are probably not........sitting on private land waiting on you to find them.

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Newnan,

Brooksville was the site of a civil war battle, maybe the buckle you found was part of an assembly or staging area before the battle took place, can you post a pic of the buckle?

Arm

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Mr Jody,

Also study the Battle of the Natural Bridge during the civil war in your area. I hear the land is up for sale that borders the park. This land had major action on it and is currently on the market if it has not been sold yet.

Arm

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
monaic was the first native american officer to come from the "acadamy" --- he was killed in battle and fort monaic (in baker county--near fla /ga border area --st marys river) also the town on monaic , ga was named after him later -- Fort monaic was one of the many small forts linked about 20 miles apart in a line so that if it was attacked the forts to the left and right could lend support --after heavy losses the seminoles did not want to fight large scale battles with army troops but rather broke into small raiding groups * the groups could not be taken down by large massed armies --the armies were simply too bulky and slow -- so small forts no more than a days ride apart were set up 1/2 of the troops were on patrol at all times with the other group in garrison. in case of attack locals were to head to the nearest fort. this effectively cut down on the effect of the seminoles raids . and help rein then in some what by giving them no safe haven spots far from large units like they had before.

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Moniac was killed at the Wahoo Swamp battle chasing seminoles through the gun tube islands.

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Please look at "My Best Finds" Scroll down to "My Best Finds 2007-2008" by relicdude07, super finds in Florida.

Also "My Best Finds" Scroll down to "1700,1800,1900 bling over the years" by relicdude07, his best thread yet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
arm you are correct monaic was killed in battle at wahoo swamp -- but the fort (in florida) and town (in georgia ) named after him are along the fla /ga border area st marys river area off of route 2. was the point I was getting at.

OP
OP
armchairQB30

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Ivan,

I think I found that exact site where he was killed in the river. The account says it was shallow, about 10' across and black water. Just as he was in the river starting to cross he was shot and fell in the brakish water. It comes off of the Withalacoochee and becomes spring river cut, it is due west of the Wahoo Swamp and due west of the gun tube islands. If I only had permission. He is supposed to be buried in the mass grave at St Augustine with Major Dades command but no one knows for sure. Accounts say he was buried at the Dade massacre site in Bushnell and then later exhumed with the rest of the men from that massacre and then buried in St Augustine.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I have little doubt you did find the spot . -- thru good research and using a bit of common sense things like this can be found out.by "normal people" and its all too often the only way stuff like this is found out at all -- since the state has neither the man power or budget to do so. (nor frankly the "interest" unless it a grand thing or big bucks involved) -- its a real pity you can not get the local land area rights to hunt it --- things in the river * (being freshwater) are by rules set up by our state "off limits" to collecting . yep the state wants it all -- nothing for the people do anymore but work hard and pay lots of taxes *---- back to the salt mines with us.

RELICDUDE07

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2007
Pascagoula Ms.
Detector(s) used
minelab exp.
Thanks armchair :) i love finding old relics ,and i thought this is a great place for people to see them.... There is stuff all over florida,my area is like one giant trash pit of history,from one end of town to the other...Sometimes it takes some work to zoom in on a old site ,but when you find it search it very good ,and all around the area for miles,guys were on horse back and you will find relics many miles from the fort site, in all directions...Also this book is a must for relic hunters in florida,it has put me on many great sites.... You can buy it right here at kellyco for 15 bucks....

Attachments

• fortcamps_fl_lg.jpg
    fortcamps_fl_lg.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,773

ctcfl

Dec 23, 2006
crestview,fl.
Detector(s) used
white's mxt
Great info! I am in the Ft. Walton Beach/Destin area....I have heard of a seminole war era fort around here, anyone have any info?

Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions