Doesnt our government have better things to do?

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Doesn't our government have better things to do?

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell testified to the House Judiciary Committee today about “legal issues related to football head injuries.” However, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) decided to use the hearing as an opportunity to defend Rush Limbaugh and quiz Goodell on why the hate radio host couldn’t become an owner of a team.

I would like to hope our federal elected officials have better things to handle than trying to defend Rush Limbaugh because the investors he was with decided he was too much of a hot potato to buy an NFL team with.

S

Smee

Re: Doesn't our government have better things to do?

Lasivian said:
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell testified to the House Judiciary Committee today about “legal issues related to football head injuries.” However, Rep. Steve King (R-IA) decided to use the hearing as an opportunity to defend Rush Limbaugh and quiz Goodell on why the hate radio host couldn’t become an owner of a team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMYwM9m1JO0

I would like to hope our federal elected officials have better things to handle than trying to defend Rush Limbaugh because the investors he was with decided he was too much of a hot potato to buy an NFL team with.

I agree, and they also need to keep their nose out of a lot of other stuff, like the original reason for the hearing.

We've just become a nation of whiners and crybabies.

Those players CHOSE to play. No one held a gun to their heads and forced them. I played in high school and semipro. Every player knows, all the padding in the world won't protect your brain from that impact inside your skull when your head makes that sudden stop on hitting the turf or an opponent's helmet. Even the Obama administration can't change that fact of nature.

If they know it going in, why whine about it when it happens? Can't they act like men and take responsibility for their actions? Hey guys, man up . . . grow a pair, and remember --- you've already been paid. You agreed to the compensation going in, it should be too late to change things --- especially if you aren't playing any more.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.

Those players CHOSE to play. No one held a gun to their heads and forced them.
====================================================================
Exactly. We surely don't need the gov't. to concern themselves & waste time on our money about
grown men who decided to make $ millions of dollars playing kid's games. We have soldiers facing death
& they're concerned AGAIN with pro-sports. They didn't spend this much time on coal-miner's Black Lung
or steel-worker's red-lung or other worker's exposure to hearing loss, lead, cadmium, silica or thousands
of other exposures that affect American workers. They as usual have dollar signs in their eyes. Just like the
money-grabbing lawsuits against big tobacco, you're a grown person, able to make your own decisions, so
after 40 years of smoking, you get a bad cough. So suddenly, it's some one else's fault ? Tuff crap, you make your bed, you sleep in it. What's next, some punch-drunk old boxer from the 1940's suing for 'dain-bramage?

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

"We've just become a nation of whiners and crybabies. " Smee said.
I agree , but at least if just your ego is punctured you have a chance to defend/reply , but
I've heard about early onset of dementia in these players is very common , obviously giving
one no defence.

S

Smee

pigiron said:
"We've just become a nation of whiners and crybabies. " Smee said.
I agree , but at least if just your ego is punctured you have a chance to defend/reply , but
I've heard about early onset of dementia in these players is very common , obviously giving
one no defence.

Piggie, for some of these folks, the damage had nothing to do with brain injuries suffered playing football. The lack of common sense was already there.

It takes a certain kind of "crazy" to run flat out for 40 or 50 yards just to throw your body against someone else as hard as you can. It's called "special teams", and they are usually the ones who suffer the most. Folks like Jim "Hacksaw" Dugan the wrestler. He was a monster on special teams, at least when the Falcons played New Orleans. Friends of mine who knew him and Junk Yard Dog back in the day will tell you, it didn't take football to make him that way.

Defend themselves? Hell, they were trying their hardest to INFLICT those exact injuries on the other team! They busted their arses to get what they have.

Do I think its a good thing? No, some very good friends suffer from those injuries.

BTW, you did know that the helmet went on your head when you played, didn't you? It wasn't just a seat on the sidelines.

pygmy

Jul 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
hound dog

I think the helmet is a cause of head and especially neck injuries.
The antics you describe Smee are the nature of the game.

S

Smee

Actually, injuries are the nature of the game. The helmet is designed to minimize many of them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread