Interesting article on the Patriots under-inflated footballs....

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Does Deflategate Mean the NFL Lets Cheaters Prosper? - Bloomberg View

Jan 22, 2015 3:28 PM EST
By Stephen L. Carter

Should we care whether the New England Patriots broke the rules of the National Football League by slightly deflating the balls used in Sunday's playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts? Few serious football fans outside of Indiana could possibly imagine that the Colts, who lost by 38 points, would otherwise have been competitive. Non-fans are probably scratching their heads, trying to figure out what all the fuss is about.

The league has apparently found that 11 of the 12 game balls kept in the custody of the home team were underinflated. The main virtue of underinflation is that it helps in gripping a ball that is wet, or if you happen to have small hands. Now, I don’t pretend to know whether New England is guilty or not. (Coach Bill Belichick said he was shocked at the allegations.) But let me suggest a pretty simple reason that non-fans should care, and then let me suggest two more reasons that fans should care.

Non-fans should care because the NFL is the most widely followed sport in the country. Its broadcasts outdraw almost everything else on television. The game in question was, by a gigantic margin, the most viewed event on television that week. Just as when Major League Baseball went through its steroid crisis, it matters in the character formation of the young whether we ignore or even celebrate cheating.

Fans should care because it matters whether the champion cheats. That’s one reason that the NCAA takes away victories from teams that use ineligible players or in other ways break the rules. And fans should also care because the NFL in recent years seems to have left its integrity on a private jet somewhere, and has had trouble tracking it down. To say that the league has been neither good nor efficient at handling disciplinary matters is an understatement. And the league itself has not been terribly forthcoming on, for example, the issue of concussion injuries.

Of course it’s true that the Patriots would have won the game handily no matter what the pressure in the footballs. But as the estimable sportswriter William Rhoden correctly notes, the outcome is irrelevant: “That point of view misses the larger point -- whether New England, the pre-eminent N.F.L. team of the last 15 years, went into the game intending to cheat.”

Indeed. It’s comfortable for us to tell ourselves that sensible people don’t cheat when they know they’re going to win. But not everybody is sensible. The Watergate crimes continued well beyond the time when it was considered plausible that the Democrats might unseat Richard Nixon. (Edmund Muskie, the candidate Nixon feared most, was long out of the race by June, when the burglary was discovered.)

One recalls Judge Richard Posner’s observation that we seem to view plagiarism committed by successful authors as “a chump’s crime, less likely to reflect a serious larcenous intent than a loose screw.” He adds: “The more successful the writer, the more nutty-seeming the plagiarism.”

But not all cheating is nutty, even when you’re confident. There are those who by constitution and character will continue to press, seeking every possible edge. It never made sense that Dennis Kozlowski and Mark Swartz, both more than handsomely compensated, would loot Tyco to the tune of some $150 million, but the jurors convicted them of doing just that. Sometimes you do it because you can get away with it.

Part of the problem is that we have been down this road before. We know that the Patriots seek every edge. They find subtle ideas in the rule book that nobody else seems to figure out. And they’ve broken the rules, too. The league mysteriously destroyed all the evidence from the Spygate scandal, when the team was found to have used cameras to try to observe their opponents’ hand signals, but the memories of fans are long.

So are the memories of non-fans. I am willing to bet that there are plenty of people out there who couldn’t care less about football, but whose first impression on hearing the story was something along this line: “Oh, the Patriots, right, I’ve heard of them. Haven’t they been caught cheating before?”

That’s a terrible legacy for one of the greatest teams and greatest coaches in the history of the league. But it’s exactly the sort of baggage that professional football will carry as long as it keeps taking issues of integrity as lightly as it does.

Rhoden’s suggestion is that if the Patriots are guilty, Belichick should be suspended for the Super Bowl. I doubt that a full and fair investigation could be completed by then, but the NFL has shown that it can work quickly when it wants to.

1. Sometimes -- in this case perhaps correctly -- the league also gives the wins back.

2. In admiring the felicity of Posner’s language, I am not endorsing his comments about particular individuals.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't the officials handle the same footballs? Also, I guess I'm being naĂŻve, but why don't the league supply the ____ footballs?

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
In my opinion they should be fined, suspended and even dismantled. Theres no room for this type of behavior in professional sports. Let the hammer fall.

sent from a sending device.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the stuff that worries people in this country....Im sure if a gave a Shii about Football, I may feel different....But I dont.

I do like all the parody's I have been hearing thou

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My personal feeling is that cheaters should not be awarded any sort of championship.

Send the Colts to the Superbowl. Deny draft picks. And clamp down on the rules. 5 years of penalties like this would ensure a message to the NFL, all teams.

Is their cheating during the Spygate scandal so soon forgotten? Preeminent team of the last 15 years of the NFL? Geez, no wonder - these scandals are only the ones which have been uncovered.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Patriots play in SB it will be tainted no matter who wins. Doesn't matter if it was a 1 point difference or 50 point difference.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My personal feeling is that cheaters should not be awarded any sort of championship.

Send the Colts to the Superbowl. Deny draft picks. And clamp down on the rules. 5 years of penalties like this would ensure a message to the NFL, all teams.

Is their cheating during the Spygate scandal so soon forgotten? Preeminent team of the last 15 years of the NFL? Geez, no wonder - these scandals are only the ones which have been uncovered.

no, send the ravens we don't need another beating

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
just sayin...

Attachments

• 10409581_1601574200061101_1295258755235678174_n.jpg
    10409581_1601574200061101_1295258755235678174_n.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 139

coazon de oro

Bronze Member
May 7, 2010
texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a shame that the image, and credibility of one of the best quarterbacks out there gets tainted by the stupidity of others.

These are the facts:

Footballs are covered with pigskin. No one can deny that.
Pigskin is a thin leather.
Leather stretches when wet. Even the strongest rawhide's stretch when dampened.
After the second half, the footballs were saturated.
Any football that has 12.5 pounds of pressure, will show less after the pigskin is saturated for a while.

Homar

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Corazon 11 of the12 balls were all under inflated by 2.5-3 lbs, that is not mother nature.. It is called cheating..

None of Colts footballs were under inflated, strange how mother nature only affected the Patriots.. And yes Colts were checked ..

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not in the least interested in football in a general manner of speaking but I am interested in what image the NFL is presenting by not taking a stronger stance in this since Bellachick has been caught cheating and Brady is a no count liar when asked if he was the father of his child until paternity tests proved otherwise. I guess if you don't get caught and there is no clear cut evidence then it didn't happen.:unhappysmiley:Yes, the Patriots most likely would have won anyway but that's not the point and I really don't think they care they have the reputation of being cheaters.

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haters... Let it be known that the balls naturally deflated beneath Brady's God-Like grip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread