Forgotten Eden

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the town of Eden (East Coast of Florida) is still on the map, most of Eden is built up now and does not resemble the Eden from the late 1800's, its beginnings. Some pictures show what it used to be, but it's forgotten now along with so many other places around the area.

I did extensive research on the old Eden Cemetery, where the founder of Eden is buried. It was difficult to find, because it's all overgrown now. Plenty of books refer to it, but not one gives the exact location and it is difficult to slowly drive Indian River Drive and look because people drive the two lane road like it is the Indy 500. My best way was to use books and internet.

Note: I DO NOT hunt grave yards. My search started because I simply could not find it easily and I saw on findagrave.com, people were looking for photos of their relatives' headstones, which I did. I was also able to identify who the small nameless headstone was, so it was cool to do all the research. I was also able to add names to the findagrave site.

Below are 4 photos. One of the lame sign out front (still can't believe I missed this sign the couple of times i drove 'the drive'), the second is getting inside the 'jungle of palms and Florida scrub' where the tops of the headstones can be seen and the third is on an old iron fence in there, a relative of the man Hutchinson Island is named after. The 4th is headstone of the founder of Eden. I was not going to add this, but it did not seem right to talk about him settling Eden and not including who he is.

Just a little history is all, I enjoy research and again, I don't hunt graveyards or cemeteries.

Attachments

• P1080545 - Copy.JPG
    P1080545 - Copy.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 399
  • P1080577 copy.JPG
    P1080577 copy.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 244
  • P1080561 copy.JPG
    P1080561 copy.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Thomas E Richards - Copy.JPG
    Thomas E Richards - Copy.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 374

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
Nothing wrong with hunting graveyards. As long as your not in there digging or metal detecting. I hunt graveyards for well known people and take pictures of their headstone. Like they say "Take only pictures and leave only footprints." I have a picture of Billy the Kid's grave even though I don't believe he's buried there. Pictures from Boot Hill in Tombstone. Famous people aren't the only ones I take pictures of but they're at the top of the list. I took a picture of a little girl's grave in a ghost town and on the picture you see an orb just about the headstone that looks like it has a face in it. Kind of spooky!

OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't hunt the old graveyards, but i do like to walk them and look at old headstones. I had been looking for this one for a while, turned out it was hidden, overgrown with brush and trees. I snapped some pics and uploaded them to findagrave.

JeromeAz

May 31, 2013
I like to look at them all too. Especially the graveyards out in the middle of nowhere. Its interesting to see when they were born and died and occasionally how they died. I also have a picture of Wyatt Earp's lesser known brother's grave. Warren Earp was shot and killed in a saloon in Wilcox, Az. It's in town but on the outskirts. Bit of a drive from town. Graveyards are interesting places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread