Greenville N.C. Sharks teeth SCORE!

wilkere

Sep 11, 2007
Jacksonville N.C.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Silver Sabre
I'm proposing a hunt at GMR on the 1st of November to take a little sting out of the PCS Aurora cancellation. GMR...? you say, "That's all hunted out". Bulls%@! Check out the pictures from the hunt on Monday. My nominee for the "Gerald Reel Golden Shovel 2008 Award" is Will Hill! This man moved so much gravel from the river bottom that he touched a new strata layer below Pungo! I'm getting a little ahead of this story so I'll start from the begining

DSC00207.JPG
Mako-Boy Finally finds a big GW @ GMR. 2.5 of pure perfect shark glory!

After picking up my old nemisis Goosebumps from his cave, We arrived fashionably late at the park. However, a good spirited crew including "The Professor", Will and Lois Hill, and new members Robin and Jessica rounded out our Columbus day hunt. We detoured to George Powells house to take in 3 hours of Fossils-201, Mr Powell teaching a upper level course of course! (Look for that write up & photos in the Newsletter, It was awsome!)
Will and Lois set up in the creek , (I promised not to tell where) while Robin and Jessica started to work the gravel in mid-stream. Me and the Professor went for a walk past "Reel Cut" and "Samerella Cliffs" and started working some material along the side in deeper water. After a hour I didn't have tooth one however, I did have some nice bone coming from the edge of the stream in the deepest water. Finally a few shifts after finding a nice 2 inch Mako, I finally pulled a screen and announced to the Professor and Goosebumps that I finally found it! The Professor looked over and his eyes popped open.... then he made a quick grab for the Great White glisting in the sun with the serrations ready to cut open a soup can. I was glad he wanted to pick it out of the screen as I was worried about the root being broken and I didn't want to have the Goosebumps curse jinks me again as he was only a few yards away. As the Professor pulled it out of the gravel and I saw it was whole I finally let go and yelled! Kinda like Gerald did last year when he pulled out it's cousin.

DSC00210.JPG
Mako's, Indian points, A Nice Benedini, and complete horse tooth. All in all good to go!

As the hours wore on I continued to pull nice fossils out of the same small area, After a visit to George's house I was surprized to find a Pariodotus Benedini (sic) as he mentioned they were rare at PCS. The Professor and Goosebumps soon bid up the the price of my claim which I eventually sold to the Professor for 20 bucks! After a fine day of digging we headed back to the lot wondering if anyone was still in the river. Soon we happened upon the Hills who were in the same area that they started in. As we walked toward them the Professor suddenly disappered as if swallowed by a river monster! It was soon discovered the Will's China tunneling project was not properly marked with hazard tape!
DSC00207.JPG
Will's deep earth hole! "I dig deeper than most collectors. They give up, I dig to the bottom that's where the big ones are". - Will

Me, Goosebumps and the Professor were all awed by the collection of fossils Will and Lois collected. Hundreds of teeth, 4 Large GW in perfect shape were the highlight. A possible claw of some sort. Any help on that somebody? Will stated that's what he usually gets from this area, which to say the least was very impressive. But as always hard work was involved and surface collectors need not apply.
DSC00214.JPG
Now whose ready to dig it on the 1st!
MakoBoy
http://www.okinawarelics.com

Attachments

• DSC00210.JPG
    DSC00210.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 683
  • DSC00214.JPG
    DSC00214.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 661
  • DSC00216.JPG