• fossil mike mcmeekin (3).jpg
    fossil mike mcmeekin (3).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 362

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Okay, more . . .

It's Carcharocles auriculatus (if it's actually an Eocene tooth).

It's Isurus oxyrhinchus (if that's what the tooth is). Notice the genus is capitalized while the species name is in lower case letters.

Under the description of the coprolite, "...shark do to spiral...." Unless you're talking about "shark do" (as in dog do), the word is "due."

It's a Pleistocene Equus sp. (not "Equa" or camel) upper cheek tooth.

OP
OP
W

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
Harry Pristis said:
Okay, more . . .

It's Carcharocles auriculatus (if it's actually an Eocene tooth).

It's Isurus oxyrhinchus (if that's what the tooth is). Notice the genus is capitalized while the species name is in lower case letters.

Under the description of the coprolite, "...shark do to spiral...." Unless you're talking about "shark do" (as in dog do), the word is "due."

It's a Pleistocene Equus sp. (not "Equa" or camel) upper cheek tooth.

Harry,

Thanks for the info. Im out of town for a few days but will make the updates as soon as I get back to my own computer. Can I credit you for the description? If yes I just need your last name.

Sincerely,
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
wreckvalle said:
Harry,

Thanks for the info. Im out of town for a few days but will make the updates as soon as I get back to my own computer. Can I credit you for the description? If yes I just need your last name.

Sincerely,
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com
You're welcome, Cap'n Dan.

I don't need a credit on your web-site. I'm happy to help out anonymously when I can.

Are you aware that the sperm whale tooth is presented root first in your image. The bulbus end is the place where the enamel cone was exposed in the jaw. Usually, the enamel end of the tooth is the most interesting; but, sometimes this little enamel cone is worn down to the root. Here is one with the cone in place.

spermwhaletooth.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions