All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Aurora March 1 2008 001.jpg
    Aurora March 1 2008 001.jpg
    363.5 KB · Views: 823

Road Dog

Apr 16, 2009
North Carolina
Nice teeth ya'll. Here are a couple Megs, some Makos, Great White and a Hemi.

Attachments

• DSC06827.JPG
    DSC06827.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 644
  • DSC06836.JPG
    DSC06836.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 645
  • DSC06838.JPG
    DSC06838.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 648
  • DSC06834.JPG
    DSC06834.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 656
  • DSC06832.JPG
    DSC06832.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 653
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Rickelpickel said:
Yes, you doo! Nice group of teeth, Rick.

I don't see labels. How do you catalog all these teeth? Do you mark the teeth?

I use paper labels in plastic boxes for my keepers.

Attachments

• drawershark.jpg
    drawershark.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 625

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i am looking for a new modern tooth a big one wanting to make a necklace for my daughter. her and some friends started a fan club south side soul surfers in her school last year, for the young lady surfer that lost her arm to a shark while surfing. all i have are ancient ones i got from the fella at the shark pit ,those are framed and on my man cave wall any help would be awsome.

thank you
olepossum

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
jeez I had no idea that shark teeth were so plentiful to find. Is there one certain area that you look for them? Are they found more in water or on land? I have never found one but they look pretty awesome.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
huntress104 said:
jeez I had no idea that shark teeth were so plentiful to find. Is there one certain area that you look for them? Are they found more in water or on land? I have never found one but they look pretty awesome.
Shark teeth are abundant in the world's sedimentary rocks. But, you won't find in Kentucky (except at a show or shop) shark teeth like those in this thread. Those are Cenozoic age, when sharks had grown large with ferocious teeth.

The Paleozoic shark teeth in the coral reef sediments you've been hunting are small and often not very distinctive to the untrained eye. You may be able to find some by screening the gravel on the stream bottom. But, it might be easier to find one by watching for a shiney black speck in the gray limestone of the bank. Then, it's a matter of hammer-and-chisel work.

Or, I can trade you an impressive shark tooth for a coral specimen. :)

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Harry Pristis said:
huntress104 said:
Shark teeth are abundant in the world's sedimentary rocks. But, you won't find in Kentucky (except at a show or shop) shark teeth like those in this thread. Those are Cenozoic age, when sharks had grown large with ferocious teeth.

The Paleozoic shark teeth in the coral reef sediments you've been hunting are small and often not very distinctive to the untrained eye. You may be able to find some by screening the gravel on the stream bottom. But, it might be easier to find one by watching for a shiney black speck in the gray limestone of the bank. Then, it's a matter of hammer-and-chisel work.

You got a deal Harry!! I will collect you a nice specimen and contact you when I have it. Thank You!!

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Harry Pristis said:
huntress104 said:

Ok Harry here are the pictures of the coral colony I got for you. I have also included pics of the river where it was found. The pic with my dog is for reference to the size of this piece. It has some awesome detail in it. If you want it I will be glad to send it to you.

Attachments

• harry\'s coral.jpg
    harry\'s coral.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 945
  • harry\'s coral2.jpg
    harry\'s coral2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 600
  • harry\'s coral3.jpg
    harry\'s coral3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 564
  • coral river.jpg
    coral river.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 584
  • coral river2.jpg
    coral river2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 557
  • size comparison.jpg
    size comparison.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 556
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Ok Harry here are the pictures of the coral colony I got for you. I have also included pics of the river where it was found. The pic with my dog is for reference to the size of this piece. It has some awesome detail in it. If you want it I will be glad to send it to you.
What a super place to hunt fossils! Those rocky streams in the Midwest are the places I most missed after moving to Florida. Still miss 'em after a very long time.

I will send you a PM about the coral, 'huntress'. Thanks for the images.

-------Harry Pristis

dkTreasure

Nov 2, 2009
Rick, nice meg collection. Looks a lot like my Dad's. He scuba dives in Venice regularly. In fact, we are there right now and he dove the last 2 days. Only found a couple small megs and lots of smaller teeth these dives.

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
Here are some I've collected over the years. Shark teeth anyone?

Attachments

• shark teeth.2.JPG
    shark teeth.2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 534

dkTreasure

Nov 2, 2009
Lost Crow, did you find those in Texas? I moved from Florida to Texas and find lots of stuff in Florida when I go home to visit, but haven't found spots to find them in Texas yet.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
folks if you like shark teeth --come visit amelia island in northeast florida --our beaches got lots and lots of shark teeth --esp bull sharks and hammerheads * plus we get some real oldies now and then that wash up.

lost crow

Jan 26, 2011
Texas
dkTreasure said:
Lost Crow, did you find those in Texas? I moved from Florida to Texas and find lots of stuff in Florida when I go home to visit, but haven't found spots to find them in Texas yet
Yes dkTreasure I found all my teeth in Texas creeks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread