Who Collects Shark Teeth?

mleetaylor

Nov 6, 2008
Charleston, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fossiling coastal SC

Thanks to all for taking the time to post the excellent photos.

I hope to do some fossiling this month. One trip, maybe two.

Will be snorkel fossiling the upper Edisto river. Thinking about SCUBA fossiling the Cooper river (Pimlico and Red Bank area). Also found an island on the upper Wando I want to hunt.

Always happy to learn about land locations and water locations of limestone concretions, marl, and gravel beds. Prefer virgin sites. Very attracted to exposure of the Chandler Bridge formation (no overburden). Will trade site info.

Hemi426

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
Longs, SC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some are broken, but there are some nice teeth in the pile, Over 1800 teeth in 4 months..... Found my first one in June ;)

Attachments

• securedownload 2.jpg
    securedownload 2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 904

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We used to go to Myrtle Beach on vacation and I had a few good ones. Those were in an aquarium 30 years ago and lord knows where they ended up.

I do have one I bought at a flea market in Memphis, TN years ago - had to be around 1995.

I can't remember now whether it was $5 or $10.

Tooth.jpg

toothless

Sep 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys, anyone know any good locations in Nc for sharks teeth, thanks Toothless

Perico

May 29, 2012
Cretalamna Appendiculata is my most educated guess. I'm not for certain even though I looked them up.

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Cretalamna Appendiculata is my most educated guess. I'm not for certain even though I looked them up.

One of 'em is C. appendiculata. The "B" tooth is center in each image. The "A" and "C" teeth are Otodus obliquus. Significant difference in the roots . . . if you look closely enough.

It's easy to ID the bigger O. obliquus 'cause nothing else at the time grew as large. But, logically, there must be lots of smaller teeth, and these are easily confused with teeth like those of C. appendiculata.

shark_cretalamna or otodus.jpg shark_cretalamnaappend.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Occasionally, teeth of the two sharks, Carcharocles megalodon and Carcharodon carcharias, may be confused for one another. Ususally, this is a problem with a worn or otherwise damaged tooth . . . especially where the teeth of the two sharks may be found together, as in Florida's Peace River (C. carcharias teeth are uncommon in the Peace River). Megalodon and the great white shark now are generally believed to be not closely related.

shark_meg_GW_labial.JPG shark_meg_GW_lingual.JPG

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
I think the larger one is from megalodons tiny (but I wouldn't swim with it) ancestor.

Attachments

• 1449388457108.jpg
    1449388457108.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 111

dr1ftd1gger

Dec 19, 2013
Lost Crow, did you find those in Texas? I moved from Florida to Texas and find lots of stuff in Florida when I go home to visit, but haven't found spots to find them in Texas yet.

Where in texas? I find some occasionally here in corpus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions