Snail?

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
OK, I dug this up at work in California and I can't figure out if this is a snail
or something else. It is the white object on the left of the rock.
Should I use a dremel tool to clean around the shell and snail or not.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for looking

Bill

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 026.jpg
    Picture 026.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 221

Tylocidaris

Aug 4, 2009
Upper Cretaceous of Texas
Bill, as you know, there are several things in that matrix. The largest ribbed thing is a bivalve of some sort, similar to a modern scallop. There appears to be another one below it. If you're making reference to the round form on the left edge, then it could be the mold of a gastropod (snail). I don't know what formation this was found in, so age is a wild guess. Just carefully clean it with a toothbrush and soapy water. It looks good in the matrix. Out of it, it's just another fossil shell. :wink:

OP
OP
OmegaMan

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Tylocidaris said:
Bill, as you know, there are several things in that matrix. The largest ribbed thing is a bivalve of some sort, similar to a modern scallop. There appears to be another one below it. If you're making reference to the round form on the left edge, then it could be the mold of a gastropod (snail). I don't know what formation this was found in, so age is a wild guess. Just carefully clean it with a toothbrush and soapy water. It looks good in the matrix. Out of it, it's just another fossil shell. :wink:
Thank you for the info.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Bill, if you do use a dremel, be very careful. Like the other man said, leave some of the matrix attached. I did a piece similar to the one you showed and used the dremel tool, as I took off some of the matrix, I found another completely different shell beneath...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions