Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the latest pics. of some finds I've found river hunting here on the coast.And one of them I'd like to know if you all think is a fossilized egg.Bison teeth,bison skull cap,horse teeth,pig teeth,pig tusk.Enjoy!
Timekiller.

Attachments

• 000_0097.jpg
    000_0097.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 468
  • 000_0098.jpg
    000_0098.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 479
  • 000_0099.jpg
    000_0099.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 469
  • 000_0100.jpg
    000_0100.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 473
  • 000_0101.jpg
    000_0101.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 456

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
timekiller said:
Here is the latest pics. of some finds I've found river hunting here on the coast.And one of them I'd like to know if you all think is a fossilized egg.Bison teeth,bison skull cap,horse teeth,pig teeth,pig tusk.Enjoy!
Timekiller.
If your egg-shaped stone has a pecked-out crater or flat spot, it's possible that you have a bola stone. Lacking this crater, I think this is stream-rounded pebble. Egg shell has microscopic structure which you can look for.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bravowhiskey said:
You have organized your collection very well. Nice presentation with lots of fine entries.

BW
Thanks bravowhisky,the teeth are taking me over.Some people just don't know of all the things that was once around.
HH,Timekiller!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
timekiller said:
Timekiller.
If your egg-shaped stone has a pecked-out crater or flat spot, it's possible that you have a bola stone. Lacking this crater, I think this is stream-rounded pebble. Egg shell has microscopic structure which you can look for.
Hey Harry,doing well I hope.Not sure what your talking of.But if you know your fossils like you know your bottles sure you know.Just something I had picked up,looked strange for around here.Thought I'd post it see if anyone could tell.
Timekiller!

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timekiller said:
Harry Pristis said:
timekiller said:
Timekiller.
Hey Harry,doing well I hope.Not sure what your talking of.But if you know your fossils like you know your bottles sure you know.Just something I had picked up,looked strange for around here.Thought I'd post it see if anyone could tell.
Timekiller!
Hey Harry,looked up bola stone.It's not them,but I must say I can't rule out egg though it looks alot like one to me. Here is a photo that looks alot like it.Mine is just smaller then the one in the pic.As far as stream pebble you just don't see those type of rocks here.Only what some one has brought in.
http://www.fossils.ch/engl/wirbel/wirbel.html

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Timekiller!
Hey Harry,looked up bola stone.It's not them,but I must say I can't rule out egg though it looks alot like one to me. Here is a photo that looks alot like it.Mine is just smaller then the one in the pic.As far as stream pebble you just don't see those type of rocks here.Only what some one has brought in.
http://www.fossils.ch/engl/wirbel/wirbel.html
Stream-rounded pebbles are abundant; fossilized, intact bird eggs are rare. But, anything is possible. Look for structure under a microscope.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheldon J said:
Can you find someone to do a C scan? that would show inside structure an possibly a skeliton....
Thanks for the thought and my wife works at a imagine center don't know how hard it be to scan.But I would only think that would work if the egg was fertilized.I don't know,probably will have to find someone who seen or handles this type of stuff.Egg must be rare,but I thought the skull cap for around here was rare,and it is you don't just go out everyday and find one,I know that for sure.If I can get the email address from the people in Raleigh that identified it(skull cap).That would be a good place to start.
Thanks again for your thought,
Timekiller!

Tylocidaris

Aug 4, 2009
Upper Cretaceous of Texas
Timekiller, you're right; Harry does know his fossils (maybe better than his bottles). I agree with him that highest degree of probability is that you have a stream-worn pebble. It's hard to tell what mineral it is, but if it's unusually heavy for it's size, it could be hematite...hard to say. For a random river find, among the hundreds of thousands of egg-shaped pebbles in your area, to be an egg fossil would be as likely as me getting hit by a meteorite yesterday (microscopic size not included)...whew! I made it!

That's a pretty good spectrum of teeth you have...maybe bison, horse, cow, etc. For specific teeth, it's best to get a pic of the chewing surface and a side view to make an ID, and Harry is a lot better than I when it comes to that. :wink:

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tylocidaris said:
Timekiller, you're right; Harry does know his fossils (maybe better than his bottles). I agree with him that highest degree of probability is that you have a stream-worn pebble. It's hard to tell what mineral it is, but if it's unusually heavy for it's size, it could be hematite...hard to say. For a random river find, among the hundreds of thousands of egg-shaped pebbles in your area, to be an egg fossil would be as likely as me getting hit by a meteorite yesterday (microscopic size not included)...whew! I made it!

That's a pretty good spectrum of teeth you have...maybe bison, horse, cow, etc. For specific teeth, it's best to get a pic of the chewing surface and a side view to make an ID, and Harry is a lot better than I when it comes to that. :wink:
Thanks Tylocidaris for your comment. Asked the wife if she remembered where I found it. She thinks I found it over at the phosphate mine in Aurora N.C.. If it is where I found it, then most likely, it would be a marine animial's egg. Not sure if you and Harry have ever been to the coast of N.C., But where I live it's not a little mountain stream. It's the next thing to falling into the ocean. And little round rocks are not common. The rocks here are flat, both sides like a pancake from grinding in sand.The closest thing here to a round rock would be ballast stones from old ships that time has not yet ground down. Rocks here yes, rocks in a perfectly round form - I say is rare. I've been on these rivers all my life doing everything imagineable. Just isn't that common now. Fossils and all aside, you would take a while tyring to find a round rock. It would stand out like a sore thumb. I hope you don't take it wrong, I am just saying what I know.I posted it for info. info I can accept but round egg rocks by the thousands like this. I'd have a hard time accepting that.

Attachments

• 000_0110.jpg
    000_0110.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 400
  • 000_0109.jpg
    000_0109.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 000_0108.jpg
    000_0108.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 404
  • 000_0106.jpg
    000_0106.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 386
  • 000_0111.jpg
    000_0111.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 384
  • 000_0112.jpg
    000_0112.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 383
  • 000_0113.jpg
    000_0113.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 387

Tylocidaris

Aug 4, 2009
Upper Cretaceous of Texas
Fair enough, tk. I thought you had implied it was a river find. Your new pics show quite a few inclusions in the nodule. Is it possible that it's phosphate? Also, one end appears to be an abraided or broken surface. Actual fossil eggs from various eras have additional characteristics besides shape.

I bet that skull cap gave you a thrill! I remember the first one I found, following a flood, was so fragile it fell apart in my hands... :(

John

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tylocidaris said:
Fair enough, tk. I thought you had implied it was a river find. Your new pics show quite a few inclusions in the nodule. Is it possible that it's phosphate? Also, one end appears to be an abraided or broken surface. Actual fossil eggs from various eras have additional characteristics besides shape.

I bet that skull cap gave you a thrill! I remember the first one I found, following a flood, was so fragile it fell apart in my hands... :(

John
Yes it did Tylocidaris,Have never found something like this before now, myself.Some guys I'ved worked with on trawlers dreging for scallops have found these types of things mastodon teeth,one has a whole walrus skull, tusk and all.Neat stuff indeed!This came from here in the sound on the edge of the Neuse River in a old shell bed.Have found lots of indian things from this place.Very black stinky sand.I guess that is what preserved it.It was dated 20,000 to 250,000 years old.I have since wondered if the indians had found it and was using it for some reason.

Thanks,Timekiller

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
timekiller said:
Tylocidaris said:

Thanks Tylocidaris for your comment. Asked the wife if she remembered where I found it. She thinks I found it over at the phosphate mine in Aurora N.C.. If it is where I found it, then most likely, it would be a marine animial's egg. Not sure if you and Harry have ever been to the coast of N.C., But where I live it's not a little mountain stream. It's the next thing to falling into the ocean. And little round rocks are not common. The rocks here are flat, both sides like a pancake from grinding in sand.The closest thing here to a round rock would be ballast stones from old ships that time has not yet ground down. Rocks here yes, rocks in a perfectly round form - I say is rare. I've been on these rivers all my life doing everything imagineable. Just isn't that common now. Fossils and all aside, you would take a while tyring to find a round rock. It would stand out like a sore thumb. I hope you don't take it wrong, I am just saying what I know.I posted it for info. info I can accept but round egg rocks by the thousands like this. I'd have a hard time accepting that.
It was I who suggested that this may be a stream-rounded pebble. You have described the distinction between beach-polished (flattened) and stream-rounded.

I cannot attest to what sort of pebbles may be found at Aurora; but, you cannot logically argue a negative: "I have never seen a stream-rounded pebble from Aurora, therefore there must be no stream-rounded pebbles at Aurora." That doesn't hold up.

Nor are you even sure where you found this pebble. You may have picked it up on one of the rivers you visted.

Before this thread drifts off into the realm of the petrified heart, you can settle the matter easily. Just look at your object under a microscope. A dissecting scope of 10x or 20x is all you need. If you don't have one, any school science teacher will enjoy the diversion. Take a bit of chicken egg shell with you for comparison.

If it is eggshell, there will be a surface pattern that repeats (but not identical to the chicken egg shell). If it is a pebble, it will have a random pattern of crystals (like a rice-ball) or no pattern at all at this low magnification (quartz or quartzite or some other durable material). What could be easier.

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
timekiller said:
Tylocidaris said:

It was I who suggested that this may be a stream-rounded pebble. You have described the distinction between beach-polished (flattened) and stream-rounded.

I cannot attest to what sort of pebbles may be found at Aurora; but, you cannot logically argue a negative: "I have never seen a stream-rounded pebble from Aurora, therefore there must be no stream-rounded pebbles at Aurora." That doesn't hold up.

Nor are you even sure where you found this pebble. You may have picked it up on one of the rivers you visted.

Before this thread drifts off into the realm of the petrified heart, you can settle the matter easily. Just look at your object under a microscope. A dissecting scope of 10x or 20x is all you need. If you don't have one, any school science teacher will enjoy the diversion. Take a bit of chicken egg shell with you for comparison.

If it is eggshell, there will be a surface pattern that repeats (but not identical to the chicken egg shell). If it is a pebble, it will have a random pattern of crystals (like a rice-ball) or no pattern at all at this low magnification (quartz or quartzite or some other durable material). What could be easier.

(What could be easier) At this point Harry alot of things.I'll be the first to say I'm no fossil expert.Never claimed to be.About the Aurora statement the same material they are mining runs through pretty much all the rivers here on the coast of N.C..There are places that this vein of ancient marine life has been pushed to the surface to the point that you can go and look on the river and see it coming out of the banks.As far as aurora Im on one side of the river it's on the other thats the difference.

I'm not sure I'd even know under a microscope what it is.Don't have one.Would like to understand what takes the place of the object that becomes fossil if it is not a form of rock or minerial?Which if it is then it be silica,quartz,etc.

Anyway for now, hey it's a river pebble,but a rare one for here. :icon_scratch:

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
I really like the bison horn and teeth, thanks for sharing.

Now.......to stir the pot a little (hey, that's what I'm good at! ;D) is it possible that you have a stream worn piece of coprolite?

OP
OP
timekiller

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AeroMike said:
I really like the bison horn and teeth, thanks for sharing.

Now.......to stir the pot a little (hey, that's what I'm good at! ;D) is it possible that you have a stream worn piece of coprolite?
Hey AeroMike,like the pot being stired wouldn't want it to burn. :laughing9:But as far as the stream worn pebbles by the thousands looking like this around here like you just can go out and start picking them up by the handfuls (not going to fly).Could be what you say.But now that I've looked in to it more also could be called a concretion.I don't know what it is but it caused a stir for awhile :laughing7:
The horn I like to.Thats another thing not seen everyday here.
Thanks for the reply and keep that stir stick handy! :laughing9: :laughing7: :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions