Large Cephalopod Found Years Ago.

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
I found this what I believe to be a cephalopod fossil about 7 years ago in a small wooded ravine. Its just about 11 inches long and I have always considered it my best fossil find by far. Its just so HUGE! I was wondering if this is a rare find and even though I don't think I'd ever sell it, is it worth anything?

100_1643.jpg

100_1644.jpg

100_1646.jpg

OP
OP
Philmont_709n2

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
I found it in Butler County, Ohio. I have found lots of broken up, smoothed out cephalopod shells in creeks but they are usually small and in rock. Our area is full of fossils. Trilobites, Bryozoans, Brachiopods, Gastropods, Crinoids, and Horn Coral are all very common in creeks here.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Philmont_709n2 said:
I found it in Butler County, Ohio. I have found lots of broken up, smoothed out cephalopod shells in creeks but they are usually small and in rock. Our area is full of fossils. Trilobites, Bryozoans, Brachiopods, Gastropods, Crinoids, and Horn Coral are all very common in creeks here.
Well . . . The bedrock of Butler County is Ordovician. That means it is too early to find a belemnite guard. That suggests an orthoconic ammonoid, but I don't know which one that might be.

Does the object have segments . . . rings around the body?

OP
OP
Philmont_709n2

Philmont_709n2

Jul 2, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
its almost a perfectly round cone but in the last picture you can see rings

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Philmont_709n2 said:
its almost a perfectly round cone but in the last picture you can see rings
Well, okaaay! Those rings are actually the edges of the internal walls (or "septa") of the shell. Their form is diagnostic. Carefully clean a section of the fossil so that the septa are visible. Post a close-up image of the septa, and maybe it can be identified.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!

I found a few chunks of cephs this weekend, but nothing this nice.

What is the spindle shaped interior of them called? The siphuncle?

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Philmont, it is a cephalopod for sure. I grew up in Butler Co. but, now live in Cincy. As you know they are quite common and do not have much, if any, value. If you want check out

drydredgers.com for a better id.

We meet in Braunstein Hall at UC once a month. It is a pretty good group. You should come down sometime if you can. If often smack open those with a hammer and find enrolled flexicalymene trilobites as they would crawl inside the abandoned shell for shelter.

Chuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread