watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this over the weekend and was hoping for a few thoughts on what this might be.

It was found in a glacial moraine area in northern Illinois so unfortunately, it's point
of origin is probably hundreds of miles further north. My initial thought on this is that it
may be a fossilized bone fragment embedded in a sandstone matrix.

Thanks for looking!

Bone-4.jpg

Bone-1.jpg

Attachments

• Bone-4.jpg
    Bone-4.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 590
  • Bone-1.jpg
    Bone-1.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 608

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Odd specimen! A mammal or reptile bone of this size would have a center of cancellous bone, the spongy-looking bone that contains the marrow.

A fish bone might be uniformly dense, but this would be an enormous fish. It does not have a fishy look to my eye.

I think you have a "vein" or stringer of chert that filled a void. The void may have been a worm or shrimp burrow.

Fossilized burrows are fairly common. They are referred to as "trace fossils" or "ichnofossils."

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harry Pristis said:
Odd specimen! A mammal or reptile bone of this size would have a center of cancellous bone, the spongy-looking bone that contains the marrow.

A fish bone might be uniformly dense, but this would be an enormous fish. It does not have a fishy look to my eye.

I think you have a "vein" or stringer of chert that filled a void. The void may have been a worm or shrimp burrow.

Fossilized burrows are fairly common. They are referred to as "trace fossils" or "ichnofossils."

Harry, I think you're right-on with your ID. . . I just received a reply from the University of Chicago and they said "trace fossils" as well :wink:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Geez and I was looking forward to running wild in the hills of Northern Illinois looking for dinosaur bones! Or at least petrified wood...

Still tops on the unusual finds list Mark!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread