Fossil hunting beaches in Vero Beach area.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are going to Florida in a couple of weeks and I am just asking if anyone could tell me what beaches to fossil hunt on in the Vero Beach areas. We have an 8 and 10 year old boys and our whole family enjoys hunting fossils. Last time we took them down there, we spent 3 whole days at the Peace River and loved every minute of it. Fossil hunting in Minnesota doesn't even compare! Thanks, Marcia

IndianRiverSonrise

Jun 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Various
2Minnesota said:
We are going to Florida in a couple of weeks and I am just asking if anyone could tell me what beaches to fossil hunt on in the Vero Beach areas. We have an 8 and 10 year old boys and our whole family enjoys hunting fossils. Last time we took them down there, we spent 3 whole days at the Peace River and loved every minute of it. Fossil hunting in Minnesota doesn't even compare! Thanks, Marcia

Beach fossil hunting in the Vero area is nothing like the Peace River. On the beach, fossils are much more scarce and you won't find any on the beach unless the conditions are right. It is usually best after a big storm when the shells get piled up on the beach.

The three beach spots that I know of that occasionally produces fossils is the area around the Rio Mar beach access, which is south of the Holiday Inn in Vero maybe a half mile or so, the area north of Seagrape Trail, and the area at Wabasso Beach.

Occasionally there is a shipwreck treasure map listed on ebay that gives the location and directions to those sites, although the map is for the purpose of hunting shipwreck coins rather than fossils.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info IndianRiverSonrise! I know the Peace River was awesome, but we want to see the ocean at the same time. My hubby will have his metal detector as well...... Thanks again, Marcia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread