artifact.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 2,175

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:laughing7: :laughing7: Crocodile!!!!

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
gurljinxed said:
Hi!
I recently posted in a different forum thinking this item was a pestle. Low and behold I am finding out it is prehistoric poo. Can anyone verify it is poo, and possibly what animal it came from? My guess is a crocodile. Thanks for looking at my prehistoric poo!
If you are looking for a serious response, 'gurl', tell us where the object was found.

The general shape does resemble a crocodilian coprolite, but I don't see any details that would confirm that ID. What are the white flecks in the matrix? Use at least a hand-lens to examine the piece, and tell us more about it.

OP
OP
gurljinxed

gurljinxed

Greenie
Jun 26, 2008
Well, It was found at a construction site around Bastrop (Austin) Texas. It is a solid piece with nothing other than, appears to be, clay only on a few parts on the outside. There are no white flecks, I think that is the flash reflection because the piece is very shiney, sparkly and glittery. The entire piece is solid iron pyrite. I have looked closer with a jewelers loop, but all I see is pyrite.

Here is my original post with more photos.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=322116.new;topicseen#new

OP
OP
gurljinxed

gurljinxed

Greenie
Jun 26, 2008
Thank you for your help. Would poo have remenants of other materials in it?

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only if ingested prior to being expelled, heck I had a dog that would eat a rock in a skinny minute! :wink:

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gurljinxed said:
Thank you for your help. Would poo have remenants of other materials in it?
Poop,, fossils can be a couple of different forms. It could be a total replacement, called a cast, because the original material is gone, and just a mold was left and filled with another material. If it was silica based you might get agate, or jasper. Maybe iron pyrite. Or you might just get a mud-stone cast. Have you seen the pictures of the people of Pom pa, where the "ark-ies" filled the human molds with plaster? Then you have total cell replacement you can see the actual pieces of plant material that was ate. The difference materials may be relpaced at different times, and in different colors, as is some petrified wood.Hope that helps. (Pyrite's formed in a oxygen free environment in lake bottoms, or ocean bottoms)
Arid.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread