Any good spots to hunt around Tulsa?Also, an ID question if possible. . .
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Oct 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
    2 times

Any good spots to hunt around Tulsa?Also, an ID question if possible. . .

Hey guys and gals. I've been going through some of the less prominent forums lately, and have stumbled onto the Fossils section. I've always been attracted to them, as growing up in MO, there are lots of bluff areas that are exposed shoreline(the ancient variety) and I've got some good little things that I enjoy out of them.

I live in Tulsa, OK, now, though, and was wondering if anyone knew any good areas to hunt around here. I'd really like to try my luck at the quarry type hunting, but don't know where to go or how to go about it. If anyone could point me to any other good websites about getting started in it, I'd appreciate that too. So far I found a buy/sale forum (http://www.thefossiltrader.com/forum.htm) but that's it.

As soon as I can get home and find them, I've got some fossils that I've found several of since I was young, and always wanted to know what they are. Actually, that's a lie, I forgot I had one here in my desk, so here's some quick pictures of it. . .

Purveyor of fine rusted iron, aluminum cans, and pull tabs since 1995!

us
    Oct 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    2 times

Re: Any good spots to hunt around Tulsa?Also, an ID question if possible. . .

Found a pretty neat Oklahoma Geological Survey print, has good info on the ages of areas of Oklahoma anyways. . .

http://www.ogs.ou.edu/pubsscanned/gu...uidebook10.pdf

us
    Feb 2009
    Northcentral Florida
    942 times

Oklahoma is not somewhere I've collected; but, I recognize the fossil as a solitary coral.

Here's a much later example from Florida:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coralantillophylliachipola.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	37066
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coralantillophylliachipola.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	431251  
    Sometimes I go about pitying myself, and all the time
    I am being carried on great winds across the sky.

------Chippewa saying, translated by Robert Bly

us
    Oct 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    2 times

Wow, wouldn't have guessed that Harry. I wish I had my better ones for pictures. I always thought they were worms of some sort, as several of the other pieces I have have this same structure at the end of a hollow "tube". I should be going home in a week or two, if I do I'll get some pictures of the other ones I've found too.

Thanks a lot for your help! I've been looking through the forum some, and I see that you're as popular over here as you are on the Glass and Bottles forum!

us
    Jun 2010
    1 times

Plenty of places to collect in Tulsa.

Get a copy from the Geological survey has 4 or 5 maps in it.

Library has one if you can not find one.

Bought mine 25 years ago.

Check with TU they might be able to get you a copy.

What part of Tulsa are you in?

Enjoy.

us
    Oct 2008
    Tulsa, OK
    2 times

Thanks reef!

I've got the Survey listed in my second post. It's from 1960, although I don't think it can change that much since then hehe.

I live in Turley, basically North Tulsa, closer to Owasso. I drive by the quarries out on 266 every time I go back and forth to Missouri, and I always wish I could go rock hounding or just see if there's anything fossil related by accident in them, but I don't think they're open to the public in that manner.

us
    Jun 2010
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by jrsherman
    Thanks reef!

I've got the Survey listed in my second post. It's from 1960, although I don't think it can change that much since then hehe.

I live in Turley, basically North Tulsa, closer to Owasso. I drive by the quarries out on 266 every time I go back and forth to Missouri, and I always wish I could go rock hounding or just see if there's anything fossil related by accident in them, but I don't think they're open to the public in that manner.

Been to ones off of Admiral that dead line off of 129 street.

Never asked I just go on sunday

Never had a problem.

Large coral is about all.

Plants along Highway 75 years back.

Plenty just have to get around town a bit.

us
    Always huntin' fer somethin'

Dec 2006
    My first M/D find
    Garrett Ace 250
    229 times

If you can get closer to the OK/AR state line, pm me.
    ~~~ I am the Prince of Tides ~~~

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links