Any good spots to hunt around Tulsa?Also, an ID question if possible. . .

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Etrac
Hey guys and gals. I've been going through some of the less prominent forums lately, and have stumbled onto the Fossils section. I've always been attracted to them, as growing up in MO, there are lots of bluff areas that are exposed shoreline(the ancient variety) and I've got some good little things that I enjoy out of them.

I live in Tulsa, OK, now, though, and was wondering if anyone knew any good areas to hunt around here. I'd really like to try my luck at the quarry type hunting, but don't know where to go or how to go about it. If anyone could point me to any other good websites about getting started in it, I'd appreciate that too. So far I found a buy/sale forum (http://www.thefossiltrader.com/forum.htm) but that's it.

As soon as I can get home and find them, I've got some fossils that I've found several of since I was young, and always wanted to know what they are. Actually, that's a lie, I forgot I had one here in my desk, so here's some quick pictures of it. . .

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Oklahoma is not somewhere I've collected; but, I recognize the fossil as a solitary coral.

Here's a much later example from Florida:

coralantillophylliachipola.jpg

Attachments

• coralantillophylliachipola.jpg
    coralantillophylliachipola.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 280
OP
OP
jrsherman

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Wow, wouldn't have guessed that Harry. I wish I had my better ones for pictures. I always thought they were worms of some sort, as several of the other pieces I have have this same structure at the end of a hollow "tube". I should be going home in a week or two, if I do I'll get some pictures of the other ones I've found too.

Thanks a lot for your help! I've been looking through the forum some, and I see that you're as popular over here as you are on the Glass and Bottles forum!

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
Plenty of places to collect in Tulsa.

Get a copy from the Geological survey has 4 or 5 maps in it.

Library has one if you can not find one.

Bought mine 25 years ago.

Check with TU they might be able to get you a copy.

What part of Tulsa are you in?

Enjoy.

OP
OP
jrsherman

jrsherman

Oct 15, 2008
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Thanks reef!

I've got the Survey listed in my second post. It's from 1960, although I don't think it can change that much since then hehe.

I live in Turley, basically North Tulsa, closer to Owasso. I drive by the quarries out on 266 every time I go back and forth to Missouri, and I always wish I could go rock hounding or just see if there's anything fossil related by accident in them, but I don't think they're open to the public in that manner.

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
jrsherman said:
Thanks reef!

I've got the Survey listed in my second post. It's from 1960, although I don't think it can change that much since then hehe.

I live in Turley, basically North Tulsa, closer to Owasso. I drive by the quarries out on 266 every time I go back and forth to Missouri, and I always wish I could go rock hounding or just see if there's anything fossil related by accident in them, but I don't think they're open to the public in that manner.

Been to ones off of Admiral that dead line off of 129 street.

Never asked I just go on sunday :o

Never had a problem.

Large coral is about all.

Plants along Highway 75 years back.

Plenty just have to get around town a bit. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread