Bones, Bones, Bones . . . Who Has Some Interesting Fossil Bones?

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Show us your fossil bones! Here's one to get this thread started:

tortoisehumerusgiantA.JPG

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
I am game here are a few.

Pictures not as good as yours but well best I can.

Part of a Mammoth Or Mastodon scapula

Again either a Mammoth or Mastodon partial Radius ulna,but I lean more towards Mastodon on this one.

Part of a Woolly Mammoth jaw
Notice how much smaller a woolly was then a Columbian Mammoth.

Part of a Mastodon Upper palate.

A Mammoth jaw minus the teeth that sucks but the way it is stayed under water to long.

My best full grown 6th molar Mammoth jaw again a part of one,if complete I would of needed a new set of lungs to carry it that far,from deep water.

Musk ox partial skull.

I have more but enough for now.

So lets see them folks.

Nice bone Harry.
Must be nice in Florida but do not think I could get over all those gators swimming around with me.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
That is a fine group of fossils reef12, I especially like the musk ox skull. :icon_thumright:

Has anyone else out there found a musk ox skull? If so I'd sure like to see it.

11KBP

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Nice array of elephant fossils, 'reef12' !

I like that musk ox, too -- they didn't get this far south (Florida). Except for bison, the bovids are northern fossils.

Show us some more bones!

reef12

Jun 9, 2010
Harry Pristis said:
Nice array of elephant fossils, 'reef12' !

I like that musk ox, too -- they didn't get this far south (Florida). Except for bison, the bovids are northern fossils.

Show us some more bones!

Will do next week most likely.

Thanks Harry.

Worthy55

May 8, 2009
North , Fla.
Here are a few that you have seen before Harry. 8) 8) 8) :)

Attachments

• Camel R-U.jpg
    Camel R-U.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 828
  • Dire wolf Maxilla.jpg
    Dire wolf Maxilla.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 857
  • Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 962
  • Tapir jaw.jpg
    Tapir jaw.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 809
  • Camel R-U.jpg
    Camel R-U.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 775
  • Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    Mastodon or Mammoth vert.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 829
  • Tapir jaw.jpg
    Tapir jaw.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 745
  • Dire wolf Maxilla.jpg
    Dire wolf Maxilla.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 836
OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I hope to see someone else's fossil bones here. How 'bout it?
humerusmustelidsmall.jpg entepiconcloseup.jpg
A close-up of the entepicondylar foramen of a small, Early Miocene mustelid

This canal occurs near the distal end of the humeri of many taxa. This is the canal traversed by the median nerve and the brachial artery which is called the entepicondylar foramen (EECF).

An EECF is found neither on the humeri of perissodactyls (horses, tapirs, et al.) nor on the humeri of artiodactyls (antelopes, camels, et al.), nor is it found in lagomorphs (rabbits and such).

The EECF is absent in hyaenids, bears, and canids (including foxes and chihuahuas).

The EECF is present in didelphids (opossums) and in shrews and moles! (Micro-fossil collectors take note.)

The EECF is present in felids, in viverrids (all Old World), in amphicyonids (bear-dogs), and in mustelids (weasels and skunks) and procyonids (raccoons).

humericatcoon.jpg

OP
OP
Harry Pristis

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
Let's revive this timeless reference thread . . . there are so many different bones yet to be presented. Here's one . . . who knows what this one is?

2mystery_hand.JPG 2mysteryBB.JPG 2mysteryC.JPG

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, here is what I've got. Small mammal, and large reptile...

Here is what I have found, all of the large "dino" bones were found in a field by me when I was 6 years old. My grandfather had plowed it, and they were just sticking up everywhere, and I went to town! I wish we still owned the land, because I would be back there all the time! Only ones I can identify are the turtle scoots. 20151210_105114.jpg 20151210_105139.jpg 20151210_105218.jpg 20151210_105416.jpg sorry this pic is blurry, it is a broken tooth(base and tip broken), I was trying to show the serration on the sides of it! 20151210_105309.jpg This set of small mammal bones came from a property that is a friend of my mother's. I need to go back there someday, on another property nearby, the U of M students found a complete skeleton of a five toed horse! Not sure what these are from though. 20151210_105042.jpg Someday I'll have to box these up and take them to the U of M to find out what they all are.

Attachments

• 20151210_105056.jpg
    20151210_105056.jpg
    833.3 KB · Views: 173

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe so maybe no.

View attachment 1245407 View attachment 1245409 Wow! So many really amazing fossilized bones I'm not sure if this is worthy but I hope someone may find it interesting. Found in Northern Minnesota.
Maybe some suggestions as to what this may be. Magnetized all around except where there appears to be bone.
Thanks for the look.

Perico

May 29, 2012
Uggggh! Good one Harry! I first looked up turtle and had no matches....Fun game! Sorry I didn't reply sooner but had lots going on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread