Bird head fossil ???

spanish hill hunter

Dec 23, 2007
binghamton
This image (and another not pictured) is on a rock i found near the susquehanna river in upstate new york...I was told that fossils don`t form like this so it must be an anomally in the rock...Any opinions would be appreciated...I originally thought they were carvings and posted them on the indian artifacts section several months ago...This is a much better pix and sure looks to me like the head of a bird...Note how the outline of the birds beak extends beyond the fossilized area that has apparently flaked/chipped off.....Any opinions appreciated.....

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 509
OP
OP
spanish hill hunter

spanish hill hunter

Dec 23, 2007
binghamton
Thanx for opining WORTHY...It is cool indeed..There is another image/fossil of a larger birds head/beak that goes over the head of this smaller bird...I seperated the two in pictures so they can be more easily seen...When the two are together it`s harder to recognize exactly what you are looking at..I will see if i can get a picture of the other larger bird posted and then a pix of the rock as it sits..IT`s ironic that if it`s a geofact the eyes on both birds are exactly alike and in the right place..The larger bird has a very,very long beak and an "appendage" coming out of the top/back of it`s head...Did i mention there is a small area that appears to be fossilized feathers...I will probably need a specialized camera to get that because they are in a little "notched" area that will be difficult to get a picture of...Understand these are hatchling size birds because the rock is only fist size ..I actually emailed the above picture to JEFF and he graciously cropped it to correct size etc...Regards..Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread