piece of petrified wood

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
This is the best piece of petrified wood I have ever found. The bark on it is very well preserved and thick. Can some possibly identify it for me? I found it in the bottom of a creek under water. It was buried with just a small part of the edge sticking up. I looks to me like it could be very old because I have never seen a tree with that kind of bark on it anywhere.

Attachments

• petrified wood.jpg
    petrified wood.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 2,359
  • petrified wood 2.jpg
    petrified wood 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,811
  • petrified wood 3.jpg
    petrified wood 3.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 453
  • petrified wood 4.jpg
    petrified wood 4.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 445

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like an Ocatillo/ bush that grows in the Big Bend area of Texas. :dontknow:

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
huntress104 said:
This is the best piece of petrified wood I have ever found. The bark on it is very well preserved and thick. Can some possibly identify it for me? I found it in the bottom of a creek under water. It was buried with just a small part of the edge sticking up. I looks to me like it could be very old because I have never seen a tree with that kind of bark on it anywhere.
I think it's more likely that you have a bryozoan zoarium, perhaps in the Suborder RHABDOMESINA. That would be Paleozoic in age.

Scrub it with an old toothbrush. Let it dry thoroughly. Then, take another good close-up of the least-worn side, and post it here.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Harry Pristis said:
huntress104 said:
I think it's more likely that you have a bryozoan zoarium, perhaps in the Suborder RHABDOMESINA. That would be Paleozoic in age.

Scrub it with an old toothbrush. Let it dry thoroughly. Then, take another good close-up of the least-worn side, and post it here.

Thanks Harry. Here are the close-up pictures you asked for. I scrubbed it good and let it dry. the bark is about 1/2 inch thick.

Attachments

• petrified closeup.jpg
    petrified closeup.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 428
  • petrified cu2.jpg
    petrified cu2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 657
  • petrified clu3.jpg
    petrified clu3.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 438

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
huntress104 said:
Harry Pristis said:
huntress104 said:

Thanks Harry. Here are the close-up pictures you asked for. I scrubbed it good and let it dry. the bark is about 1/2 inch thick.
Hmmm . . . I don't see the details for which I was looking.

Rhabdomesina is a big suborder. Here's a PDF of a paper with some illustrations to give you an idea of the general form. I don't propose that this is anything other than encouragement for your further research.

http://kuscholarworks.ku.edu/dspace/bitstream/1808/3767/3/paleo.newseries.004op.pdf

You can also approach this challenge by figuring out the age of the sediments in your creek, then researching what taxa have already been described for that age or formation.

Let us know what you find out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread