132.8 KB · Views: 176
OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i've seen many fossilized bone.if you would like to make a friendly bet i'm up to it. first pic i know forsure 2nd i didnt look at it much.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
i've seen many fossilized bone.if you would like to make a friendly bet i'm up to it. first pic i know forsure 2nd i didnt look at it much.

Well, Steve, our purpose here is not to evaluate your experience. It is not enough to claim to be an expert; you must have evidence that these are pieces of bone.

Bone does not produce wavy, parallel contour lines when it erodes (as in the first object). Wood does, though.

Sooo . . . Present your evidence, and we'll give you feedback.

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
well i never claim to be an expert mr expert but i do know fossilized bone from fossilized wood i'll get better pics later when my friend gets back in about 10 days.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i never claim to be an expert mr expert but i do know fossilized bone from fossilized wood i'll get better pics later when my friend gets back in about 10 days.

Well its been more than 10 days where are the pics?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
That's too bad. I didn't want to drive 'steve71' away . . . I just wanted to see his evidence. Come back, Steve, and tell us what you've discovered about your specimens.
twigbeetleboring.jpg

MinerGirl

Nov 17, 2011
meicigama
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Steve71,

I think I found an answer to your question. Here's a link showing several Bone pics and the 11th pic down on this page shows cut marks just like on your bone. And scroll down further and you'll see a few more with marks similar. At first I thought the marks were from where Indians/Paleos would score the bone (or wood) to attach their stone tools to the "Handles" (with sinue or such and help it from slipping)...Then I found this website and wanted to pass it on.

Ancient Native American Indian Artifacts, Relics and Arrowheads - Bone Tools Page 1

Hope this helps..it's the 11th pic down

MinerGirl...

P.S...Possibly the score marks are gouged into the bone on purpose and this would keep the bone from Splitting Length-wise. Looks like yours may be unfinished or it was used as a handle.....Oh, I don't know about your second pic...:)

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
those are some nice pieces of fossilized wood. almost positive that's what they are. the marks on them are no less interesting because of that fact.

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
That's too bad. I didn't want to drive 'steve71' away . . . I just wanted to see his evidence. Come back, Steve, and tell us what you've discovered about your specimens.
well i just was able to get to my friends house and got more pics.i'll post them in just a sec.if it is wood there is only one type of wood that looks like this i'll let you know later what type of wood.you just keep guessing its very easy.

OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
more pics of what i thought was bone

was able to look at this piece more closely and still looks like claw marks on petrified palmwood or bone.

Attachments

• andys 002.JPG
    andys 002.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 130
  • andys 003.JPG
    andys 003.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 124
  • andys 004.JPG
    andys 004.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 116
  • andys 005.JPG
    andys 005.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
steve71

steve71

Bronze Member
May 9, 2007
TX
i am an artifact collector and i know this piece is not of that nature.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know very little about fossils, but that looks like bone in the 1st and 4th pics...if someone handed me that and asked what it was I would have said fossilized bone.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By looking at your recent photo's Steve, Your pieces look very much like fossilized wood and not bone. The appearence of pores continuing towards the outer edge suggests to me that it is fossilized wood and not fossil bone. Bone tends to have a more denser outer layer protecting the more porus inner layer. As for the ''claw marks'', this may be what they are, who knows. Congratulations on your find! :thumbsup: P.S. In the 2nd photo in your latest post, the visable line going up the piece could be a wood borer track, not normaly assocated with bone.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread