Triangular rock on Florida Beach

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been trying to ID this "rock". Rock and Gems forum lots of views, no replies so i am trying the fossil forum.
Found it about a month ago on the beach and picked it up because of it's size (5 1/2 inches long) and triangular shape. I have not had any luck ID'ing it from rock web sites. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Attachments

• beach rock side triangle view.JPG
    beach rock side triangle view.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 255
  • beach rock (2) - Copy.JPG
    beach rock (2) - Copy.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 183
  • beach rock top of rock.JPG
    beach rock top of rock.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 167

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
I have been trying to ID this "rock". Rock and Gems forum lots of views, no replies so i am trying the fossil forum.
Found it about a month ago on the beach and picked it up because of it's size (5 1/2 inches long) and triangular shape. I have not had any luck ID'ing it from rock web sites. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!!

Unless there is some structure (other than the triangular shape) to the object, it looks to be a geofact. Perhaps it was a cast of something like a sponge at some point; but, the surf seems to have obliterated any sign of that there might have been.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its cochina rock. A very common conglomerate rock on our beaches. Its very basically ..shells stuck together in sediment. It forms rather quickly. I once metal detected a clump ...broke it open to find a pair of pliers inside.

Last edited:

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
agree w/ Gatorboy on all but the spelling

Coquina

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Google says COCINA, like it matters and you better break it open like gatorboy says. Could be anything in there. Looked up geofact. Webster's says no such word so quit making stuff up.

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
not busting on gatorboy, because he seems to be in a hot spot over there...but yes spelling does matter. it is coquina and alot of houses were built out of that, even Ft Manatzas is built from it. you never know what could be encrusted inside of that chunk

OP
OP
BeachComber7

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm I never thought about busting it open. No discoloration leaching out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread