Fragment of Mandible?

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    335.5 KB · Views: 138

RiverWalker

Greenie
Nov 12, 2012
Ames, IA
Detector(s) used
My eyes.
Primary Interest:
Other
Very weird, but I see where your comming from with the fish jaw, how in the heck did you get it out of the limestone? Also, nice to see fellow Iowa fossil hunters here though.

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing was partially embedded. I sat down on a limestone face and saw it. It stood out because of it's dark color against the light gray limestone. So, I looked at it really close and noticed the fine fingerprint-like lines on it. From thence, just picked at it until it popped out. I don't think there was anything else of it left in the rock, so it seemed to be an isolated fragment. I did some more nosing around and found a site that has some decent pics that seem somewhat in the ballpark of what this might be..a dental plate of some crustacean eating fish. Easy to see how it had adapted, having traction to hold on to those slippery animals and such. I guess since the mandibles are so dense, I have read that often this is most of what people find of the fish. So, whole body specimens are rare, I guess. Thank you for commenting RiverWalker!

OP
OP
Jarl

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found fragments similar to the first photo on the link I posted. Also, that, the second, fourth and second from the bottom photos are rather convincing to me, in that they look similar in shape and texture to what I found...not exact but as I said earlier...'ballpark'. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions