Hunt advice

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
PICTURE ADDED - Hunt advice

Heading to Calvert Cliffs over the weekend with the family (wife and 5 and 6 year old boys) to look for some fossils. I think I have the tide timed out right. Never been there before. Any advice, do's/don'ts , ways to maximize finds/fun are greatly appreciated???? Anything advice at all would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This might sound obvious but I hunt alot of tidal water.. find places where gravel gathers or is otherwise exposed by the water movement. The down current side of bends or points are usually good. Also behind obstructions to the current where the water movement leaves a gully and material gathers. Good luck.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check all shell (if any) and gravel piles. Look under trees and scrub. If you don't have a good screen sifter, use a pasta culander to start off with, can get them cheap at dollar store or a few bucks more at any store. They should be sturdy to hold water, dirt and fossils-don't want them bending or breaking while you are sifting. Attach a piece of those long foam poles used in pools as floats so the sifter can float. Focus on black or brown. The small dot of black could be something much larger when pulled out. Most of my finds start off as a small dark spot and then i pull out a large piece. I looked up that calvert place, looks like fun. Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Pictures added - ID help

Beachcomber, Gator, thanks for the advice. Ended with 7 sharks teeth - any input on what kind of shark? They're all very small (there's one sitting on the dime, fully within FDR's head). Also found coral, shell and what I'm told by a kid on the beach is part of a turtle shell fossil.

Thanks for looking.

Joe

Attachments

• P1100415.JPG
    P1100415.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 317

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most look bull shark. The thinner longer one being from the bottom jaw.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This short guide may help on the teeth, one looks like a sand shark. You can research shark teeth identification on line. Good finds! On the 'fossil' it is not yet fossilized. It could be part of a turtle,
it appears to definitely be bone but probably on the more modern side. Fossils are generally dark and hard like stone.

shark teeth ID guide.jpg

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone has learned quite a bit since she started... 8-)

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
That's a pretty handy guide - thanks for posting it. I plan to make a handful more trips up there one the weather improves. 42F and windy isn't the best beach weather for the kids.

Desy5

Greenie
Oct 10, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very interesting, I've never heard of it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions