old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some marine fossils that were found above 6000 feet in elevation. If anyone wishes to help in their indentity please do so. I found the first one, and a friend of mine found the other three.

folder 3 012.JPG folder 3 013.JPG

folder 3 007.JPG folder 3 006.JPG

folder 3 005.JPG

This last one is a much larger version of the one that I found, (Top).

FindSomeGold

Jan 23, 2012
Florida East Coast
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really neat looking! How do you know they're marine fossils though? I'm not saying they aren't, but I'd like to know for my own curiosity. Thank you!

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
The first and last fossils are good examples of Stromatolites, the second one is probably a form of sponge or bryozoan and the last one is coral, maybe favosite?

nuggeteer

Jun 7, 2013
Redding, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice. Weathering has really brought the specimens out of the matrix. I used to use HCL acid... what a nightmare. Look at some geology or paleontology maps of the fossiliferous zone to get more info on the formations.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are really neat looking! How do you know they're marine fossils though? I'm not saying they aren't, but I'd like to know for my own curiosity. Thank you!

Mostly from experience and collaboration with my friend.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first and last fossils are good examples of Stromatolites, the second one is probably a form of sponge or bryozoan and the last one is coral, maybe favosite?

Thanks for your input! Am I correct that the first and last one are similar to a type of Sea Anemone?

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Weathering has really brought the specimens out of the matrix. I used to use HCL acid... what a nightmare. Look at some geology or paleontology maps of the fossiliferous zone to get more info on the formations.

I will check this out. I do understand that the mountain range that these specimens were found is much older than the other mountain ranges in the area. Thanks for your input!

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your input! Am I correct that the first and last one are similar to a type of Sea Anemone?

No they are actually fossil representations of remnants of some of the accumulations of Cyanobacteria.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice specimens old digger! :) Makes a guy wonder how we to showed up to 'fit in'!!...with no land, just a world of water! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread