old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, Mrs. River Rat has been out finding some amazing fossils! Well, I believe it is a cronoid fossil, the star is the inner design of the stems' structure.

crinoid_fossils.jpg unknown_crinoid_dorsal_cup_small1.jpg

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Old Digger! It's so amazing how these are created. People actually find the "stars" just like in the photo?

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool! I'm hoping to get a load if gravel for my driveway in the spring. I'll be sure my OCD prescription is full so I'm not compelled to look at each stone. (Only half kidding)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that"s a cool fossil RR :thumbsup:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are finding them in your driveway? No way! Pretty cool River!

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice crinoid cast! For years I've obsessively checked the sorted landscaping gravel for fossils/minerals when I come across patches of it. Because it is usually glacially deposited material dug and sorted from sand/gravel pits it is nicely rounded and worn so the harder exposed fossilized structures really "pop" in a particularly attractive manner. I've found many spectacular coral specimens including perfectly intact and beautiful colonies, chain corals, rugose coral petoskey stones, trilobite casts, agates, geodes, and even a piece of a mammoth molar. I've also found pot pipes and once stumbled upon a patch of morel mushrooms growing in a small raised bed of gravel in the middle of a parking lot, lol. I love hunting gravely creeks but the washed and sorted gravel beds are extremely convenient and easy to search.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Rat!! REALLY NEAT FIND!! Just out for a Sunday stroll in the driveway!! He He!! CONGRATS!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice looking fossil.

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to cross the driveway in order to go to the coop to feed the fowl. Just so happens that I was pulling weeds from the driveway as I walk, being my eyes were so close to the gravel, it really struck my fancy. Wonder why is takes more that 20 minutes to walk to the mailbox & back. LOL!

shannonjunk

Nov 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to relax in my driveway with my dog and sort through it for fossils. I've actually had people stop and ask me whether I'm okay [as though I'd fallen and I couldn't get up] :) I usually find what I assume to be Petoskey Stones or a similar coral colony type fossil.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's really interesting and because I've not seen one like it before thought it was a joke at first....very nice!

2beachmaiers

Dec 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question on a find

Nice crinoid cast! For years I've obsessively checked the sorted landscaping gravel for fossils/minerals when I come across patches of it. Because it is usually glacially deposited material dug and sorted from sand/gravel pits it is nicely rounded and worn so the harder exposed fossilized structures really "pop" in a particularly attractive manner. I've found many spectacular coral specimens including perfectly intact and beautiful colonies, chain corals, rugose coral petoskey stones, trilobite casts, agates, geodes, and even a piece of a mammoth molar. I've also found pot pipes and once stumbled upon a patch of morel mushrooms growing in a small raised bed of gravel in the middle of a parking lot, lol. I love hunting gravely creeks but the washed and sorted gravel beds are extremely convenient and easy to search.

Just found this in gravel drive. Any ideas?

20161215_113833.jpg 20161215_113855.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread