Whats the chance more being Mastodon bones are near a tooth find?

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the chance more Mastodon bones are near a recent tooth find?

OK here is the story. One of my good friends wife's grandparents property (which is 110ish acres & 30% or so is steep ravines), one of the main ravines starts right back 30 feet behind the house as a nothing with a slightly marshy area & then a little ravine & if you follow the little ravine 500 ft or so it becomes pretty big maybe 50 feet high walls & just a steep big ravine. It continues on far back off of their property & this system of ravines ends up at a medium size river.

My friends wife's sisters boyfriend was walking the small creek area in the ravine that starts behind the house & found a Mastodon tooth, a moller. He took it to a local university & they identified it as a mastodon tooth & they offered to buy it from him. He didn't sell it.

Now what are the chances more of this animal is in this same general area? Is it common to find a single tooth or does that usually mean there is probably more there to be found? It obviously eroded out of this ravine but not sure how to go about locating more other than searching every square inch of the sides of the ravine for anything visible protruding out of the ground & while there isn't much to hide the ground like right now in the winter. It would be a lot of area to cover too, a whole lot!

Just wondering what the odds are of finding single pieces such as a tooth like this & nothing else being in the area. I understand a glacier could have deposited it there & thus would possibly be the only piece of its kind in the area. I'm just hoping the marshy area at the top of the ravine is a hint to a long lived small spring that once might have helped make the ravine area a swampy area way back when & thus with lots of time helped make the ravine as well. If it was once a large marshy area I think chances are very good mastodons visited there & thus could have died there as well. Other than this system of ravines that leads to the river. The rest of the area in this county is very flat farm land.

Most of the walls of the ravine are glacial till material but down lower it gets slightly sandstoneish but not exactly sandstone. A soft sandstone like material, BTW this is in western central Indiana & whole mastodon finds are not all that unusual here.

Opinions? Thoughts? Tips?

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they did lose a few teeth over their lifespan so I would think an isolated single tooth find is possible. You never know though. How much (environmental) erosion does the tooth show? That may be a clue as to whether there is more there to be found. I think the fact that is was found in water is a good sign and the possibility of more does exist.

GTzer

Jan 24, 2013
DELCO, Pa
Detector(s) used
xTerra 705 & 6000 xl Pro,CZ 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are many ways that a single find can get to a certain area. You named two. Still-it's always a great indicator of more fossils when you find one. Ravines- I'd go back often after every weather event. Do be careful of slides or loose material falling.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey thats really neat,if you can find arrowheads near it would be super cool,old clovis points show up at kill sites of mastodon if they are with the mastodon there would be great interest,i hope he has a kill site. there will be large flake knives also,and flint chips

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread