Going shark tooth hunting-Gainesville,fl

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. Talk to Gatorboy. He is the expertismo when it comes to Florida fossils.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope your luck is good all the creeks in the Gainesville area are good for shark tooth hunting.
Pssst... Some interesting pieces of flint around there too

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; White's Classic 1 SL with Blue Max 8000 disc, Garrett Pro-pointer; White's Bulls eye II pin pointer;
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We had a great time. It was just a couple hours, but here is my third of the split of what we found.

There are pieces of manta ray teeth and various types and sizes of shark teeth. Also a piece of what might be an arrowhead.

image-1033693279.jpg

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like u made out pretty good. You got a nice mix of lemon, mako, bull, tiger, and Hemipristis teeth. As for the blade, post some pictures from different angles so we get some idea of its dimensions.

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-4125413776.jpg

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice finds. When I used to live in Bartow we would find these same teeth in the phosphate pits.

Now we dive for sharks teeth south of Venice. Here is what my wife makes with some of them.

Charms and Necklaces.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
image-3037954770.jpg

image-3037954770.jpg

image-3625089918.jpg

image-3428427059.jpg

image-2498642612.jpg

image-1799254093.jpg

image-3579971289.jpg

image-3037954770.jpg

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks fossilninja, I'm relying on my 15 year old friends identification of the finds. Which ones are what?

G.IB. Your wife's jewelry is awesome! I don't know what in going to do with them yet.

OP
OP
Salura

Salura

Jun 21, 2013
Micanopy, Fl
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awe, shucks. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

Disd123

Jun 5, 2016
Florida
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Going to Gainesville & Ocala this weekend... Any recommendations for finding sharks teeth? We go to Venice but I've never looked in the Gainesville area. Would love any advice. Is there anything else that I should look for while in that area? Thx!

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one in ichnetuckee once that was solid black

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Salura, you know it is against the law to remove any native American artifact from non-private land in Florida right? there are a few divers that are in hot water over this and as much as I disagree with the law we should abide by it...with that said...I NEVER find any native American artifacts and even if I did......[hint-hint] I wouldn't post it online saying I found it on public Florida land.....Good luck and keep looking!!!!

I'm curious though, did you just surface hunt or dig you dig and sift in the water? I am planning a hunt soon to the Gainesville area but I will dig and sift the water bottom gravel.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
google the Antiquities Act of 1906, it's not just Fla, and not just Native American artifacts.

Anyway, I was going to let AeroMike know that we get so much rain in Gainesville, that digging and sifting are not needed and mess up the environment for all the critters that live in our creeks. We have hunted one particular creek, for many years, surface collecting only, and have seen so much wildlife living in it. Natural erosion, trees naturally falling allow fossils to wash out into the creek bed. In fact, it's pouring right now . . . Those of you who do dig, remember that you cannot dig in the banks - it's private property. I'm less certain about the bottom of the creek, but at least re-fill your holes! We were taught to surface collect when we started, and do just fine with that method. If you want to collect fossil bones (usually dugong, but sometimes others), here's a link to the Florida Fossil Permit: Florida Fossil Permit :: Florida Museum of Natural History
They can also answer any questions you might have about creeking in Florida. The museum has great displays, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread