Rock for the fish tank

silentsydney

Greenie
Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello, I was out walking my "kids" (4 dogs) and picked up a rock I though would look cool in my fish tank. I only looked at it a few seconds before putting it in my pack but I noticed a shell impression in it. The next day I walked around work remembering what it looked like. In my head it was big around as a quarter. In reality its about the size of a pea, lol. I cant get my camera to take photos of it to my liking, but here is the best I have.

s16usy.jpg

2dqvvxw.jpg

15ecyt.jpg

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a little bitty clam or scallop- and maybe a couple other itty bitty things too! (and no, I don't know the Latin names for those tiny things But Harry Pristis would!) Yakker

OP
OP
S

silentsydney

Greenie
Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the reply. When I was at work and saw it as quarter size in my memory, I let my mind wander. I thought it could be the only proof that some tiny marine clam was here (ohio) way back when and that it had some great value. I day dreamt that I would sell it and be able to pay off my house, or at least finish the kitchen remodel. I came back to reality and still wanted to show my "big" find off. :)

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a species of Nithea. A type of yes scallop.
I'll see if I can narrow it down to a particular species.

Jess B.

TJE

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
Great Lakes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!....makes you wonder what it was like millions or yrs. before (now that we are walking on the sea floor! ;)

OP
OP
S

silentsydney

Greenie
Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's weird to think ohio was under sea. I found it along a trail that is along a canal. It was just lying on top of other rocks, I always thought you would have to dig for fossils.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My cousin found a piece of fossilized coral on the family farm in NW OH, and was also surprised when I told him what it was since he never knew OH was a seabed eons ago. There are fossils found in northern OH that are not from there, but were carried there from the north by glaciers. As for using it in your fish tank, you will need to boil it first since there may be bacteria in it which will kill your fish. Boiling could cause the rock to disintegrate a bit so you need to make a choice as to just keep it or use it with the fish.

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come in to retract my earlier statement.
Considering the context or your find in Ohio, the earlier statement is not valid.
That part of the US is primarily Ordovician or Devonian. Much older than the fossil I had in mind.
I decided to post what I was thinking of so you could take a look at what I have personally found in
the Main Street formation of Tarrant Co. Texas.
Lower Cretaceous

Neithea Wrighti.jpg

Niethea Wrighti
Similar in structure to the "pectin" commonly found today
with the exception of flattened on one side.

I apologize for misleading you on your find.
As of now, I do not know for sure just what this is.

Bone2stone

OP
OP
S

silentsydney

Greenie
Dec 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing. . I actually picked up a couple other rocks one with another shell that looks different from the first I posted and there are other impressions that I'm not sure what made them. I'll have to try and get photos when I get home.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread