tooth2.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 86
OP
OP
BJS in Iowa

BJS in Iowa

Jun 21, 2011
Iowa
Can you post a comparison? All the pictures of horse teeth I can find on the net are much longer than this tooth. And as far as it is encased in fossilized material around the root area, wouldn't that lend credence to it being older? Maybe a few thousand years? I guess the better question is, "What do you mean by modern?"

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
When I say "modern," I am suggesting that the tooth is from an Equus sp. horse introduced to North America in historical times. There were no Equus horses in North America -- no horses at all -- a few thousand years ago. Horses were extinct here from say 8,000 ybp to the 1600s of the modern era.

Horse teeth wear down with age. The low crown of your tooth indicates the horse lived long, probably stabled and fed. Here is a line-drawing which will give you an idea of how old the horse was at various stages of wear.

horseteethwearB.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
BJS in Iowa

BJS in Iowa

Jun 21, 2011
Iowa
Okay, thanks for the clarification. I hadn't considered there were no horses here then, although I was aware of it. And I also had not considered tooth wear as a factor. Again, thanks for your explanation and patience. It's a conversation starter when people see it non-the-less. Now I have a little more to tell than pure speculation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread