IMG_20151116_122559.jpg
    535.9 KB · Views: 181

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rock looks like limestone, and it contains several fossils. Coral is the most obvious, and what looks to me like brachiopod, and pieces of cephalopod and gastropod. Based on the location, they are, I believe, from the Late Ordovician period.

Hot diggity

Nov 19, 2014
That looks like a good candidate to soak in vinegar for an hour or more then brush with an old toothbrush imo. That's what I used to do with some limestone jumbles. Some worked great & others... I should have kept a closer eye on. Anyway something to consider & best done in moderation. Nice find.

OP
OP
S

Strigoi

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I've actually found quite a few although now that we are covered in snow I'm going to have to dig them out again. Here's another I thought interesting...

Attachments

• IMG_20151011_130854.jpg
    IMG_20151011_130854.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 114

ice9

Jan 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The honeycomb is a colonial coral. Tough to put a species name to it. Might be suitable for polishing; compare to Petoskey Stone.

The spiral is probably a gastropod; the half-moon above it is a brachiopod.

Be careful about soaking fossils in vinegar, it's irreversible. Diluted bleach will remove any green algae.

Looks like an area worth exploring; see if you can find where the glaciers or rivers transported these from, search eroded areas like river banks for limestone, might be neat stuff.

OP
OP
S

Strigoi

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely will! I've found quite a few interesting things by the lake I can't wait until the snow leaves :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions