New track....maby. What do you think?

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
012.jpg 011 (450x800).jpg 010 (450x800).jpg 013 (800x450).jpg It was a nice day so I went out to my favorite spot to find tracks and came up with this specimen. I left it on the hill because I'm not sure it's a track. It's about 8" long and looks more like a lizard track not a bird as I've found there. It could just be a natural break but I just don't know. It's Fort Union Formation in central Montana so it could be either bird or other. Any ideas before I risk a hernia getting it off the mountain?

Photoman

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like one but hard to tell from the photo. You might try photographing it under darker conditions (after sunset) and hit it with a bright flashlight from different angles. I'm no expert but I found a small track here in NJ recently and have done a lot of research. One thing to look for is the banding of the rock layers; a track would lay even with a layer of rock, not go against or perpendicular to it (you may know this already). Have you found other tracks in the same formation?

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I found these bird tracks but they were far more defined. I don't think this one is worth hauling off the mountain. Fort Union Formation strata. tracks 016 (800x450).jpg tracks 017 (800x450).jpg Fossil hunting with Nancy 019 (450x800).jpg

Photoman

Greenie
Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! As for the track, are you familiar with the fossil forum? (thefossilforum.com). Someone there may be able to help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread