Ammonites in South Dakota

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have recently been on the lookout for some ammonites. I have read they are numerous around here (South Dakota) in the Fox Hills formation. I have come across some trace stuff, but nothing like I am seeing online. I have heard something about them being in "mud balls". I have been looking East of The Cheyenne, near Indian Creek. Can anyone give me any tips, or point me in the right direction. I have found bits of baculites, bivalves and some fan and horn coral. Thanks for any help!

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say if you are finding baculites, you might be in the right spot to find an ammonite. Baculites are very simular animals, they just had a straight shell rather than a snail shaped one. I have a small ammonite collection, and I'm hoping to go to eastern Montana to try and find some meekie's to go in my meager collection! Hope you find some nice ones! Post them if you do, I would love to see them!

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a small ammonite collection, and I'm hoping to go to eastern Montana to try and find some meekie's to go in my meager collection!

Second time here at TreasureNet Fossils I've seen you use that word "meekies" to describe a particular type of ammonite. Last year, in a thread over at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fossils/471684-another-deadmans-cove-fossil.html , you also used the same word to describe a kind of ammonite you hoped to find in eastern Montana.

I just gotta know: What's a "meekie"?

Closest specific cephalopodic fossil I can think of is Meekoceras, an ammonoid (ammonites, proper, of course belong solely to the Ammonitic suture-type cephalopods that lived during the Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods; Meekoceras was of the Ceratitic suture pattern and therefore must necessarily be called an ammonoid) exclusive to the early Triassic Period. If Meekoceras is indeed what you're referring to, you'd actually have a much better chance looking in southwestern Montana, rather than eastern Montana. And, specifically, you'd want to concentrate on exposures of the world famous ammonoid-bearing lower Triassic Thaynes Formation, which is also exposed in sporadic dramatically fossiliferous outcroppings in southeastern Idaho, northwestern Wyoming, northeastern Nevada, western Utah, and eastern California.

Links To All Of My Fossils-Related Web Sites On The Net

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second time here at TreasureNet Fossils I've seen you use that word "meekies" to describe a particular type of ammonite. Last year, in a thread over at http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/fossils/471684-another-deadmans-cove-fossil.html , you also used the same word to describe a kind of ammonite you hoped to find in eastern Montana.

I just gotta know: What's a "meekie"?

Closest specific cephalopodic fossil I can think of is Meekoceras, an ammonoid (ammonites, proper, of course belong solely to the Ammonitic suture-type cephalopods that lived during the Jurassic and Cretaceous Periods; Meekoceras was of the Ceratitic suture pattern and therefore must necessarily be called an ammonoid) exclusive to the early Triassic Period. If Meekoceras is indeed what you're referring to, you'd actually have a much better chance looking in southwestern Montana, rather than eastern Montana. And, specifically, you'd want to concentrate on exposures of the world famous ammonoid-bearing lower Triassic Thaynes Formation, which is also exposed in sporadic dramatically fossiliferous outcroppings in southeastern Idaho, northwestern Wyoming, northeastern Nevada, western Utah, and eastern California.

Links To All Of My Fossils-Related Web Sites On The Net
Thank you for the info Inyo! I am only a recreational collector and although I do have books and a few fossil guides, I am most definitely an amateur fossil hunter! A meekie, or what I mean by a meekie is a Placenticeras Meeki. The area that I have seen them come from is near Yellowtail resservoir in eastern Montana. I have been told by some friends that they have found them as big as three foot across. I highly doubt I would find one that big! I'm not even sure I could find one at all, but I have found others, so, maybe!! haha! I believe they can be found in the Bearpaw shale, at least that is what I have been told! Sorry if it sounds like I am uneducated on fossils, I am! but I read books, and have a small collection from my childhood up until now! As far as finding ammonites in Southwestern Montana, where I am located, I have not found any. Only bivalves and coral, and a few fish and insect fossils. But I will definitely check out the info you posted! Thanks!

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
A meekie, or what I mean by a meekie is a Placenticeras Meeki.

Thanks a huge bunch, indeed!

Sorry if it sounds like I am uneducated on fossils, I am! but I read books, and have a small collection from my childhood up until now!

You sound very well informed about fossils, as a matter of fact. Great that you have such an abiding interest in paleontology. Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

StephLeighC

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465259850.375037.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1465260016.689130.jpg some of my finds from the last trip out. I can't wait to find a nice full ammonite :)

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have recently been on the lookout for some ammonites. I have read they are numerous around here (South Dakota) in the Fox Hills formation. I have come across some trace stuff, but nothing like I am seeing online. I have heard something about them being in "mud balls". I have been looking East of The Cheyenne, near Indian Creek. Can anyone give me any tips, or point me in the right direction. I have found bits of baculites, bivalves and some fan and horn coral. Thanks for any help!

You're quite correct about the upper Cretaceous Fox Hills Formation and its justifiably famous ammonites. Some exceptional preservations there, indeed. If I'm not mistaken, the upper Cretaceous Pierre Shale also contains some prized cephalopods.

Anyhow, recently I ran across a pdf document, entitled Biostratigrapy of the Type Fox Hills Formation, South Dakota by Karl M. Waage of Yale University. Looks like its a rather older paper (1968 or '69) but if you can wade through the text you should be able to find some useful locality information; it's not overly difficult reading, mind you--there's just a heck of a lot of words between substantive fossil locality data. Looks like certain areas bordering highway 63, for example, are particularly promising for Fox Hills paleontology. A "Principal Reference Section" description of Fox Hills Formation exposures east of highway 63 begins on page 139, as a matter of fact.

Best of luck with your hunt.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If one exists, grab a geological map of South Dakota. You know the formation, find and explore it. There may be other areas of Fox Hills...

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
StephLeigh, have you checked in the creek at Indian Creek? The hunter have been walking in the water and reaching down to find them. Several good pieces have come out of there. The water in most of the creek is only 6 - 12" deep, but too muddy to see the bottom.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one exists, grab a geological map of South Dakota. You know the formation, find and explore it. There may be other areas of Fox Hills...

The problem is the legal aspect. Most of the land in question is either A: private, B: Native, or C: Govt owned. You can't hunt on any of them without permission. Much of the gov't land is actually illegal to collect from, and good luck getting permission from a tribe to collect.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indian Creek area is on National Grasslands. It is acceptable to rock and fossil hunt as long as the fossil does not have a backbone. Picking up ammonites and bacculites are totally within the law.

Oops, you are correct. My mistake! I tend to think in terms of vert collecting, and did lump all fossil collection into that category.

OP
OP
StephLeigh

StephLeigh

Jul 8, 2012
Charleston SC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482597344.232334.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1482597366.980831.jpg

Still on the hunt for a nice Ammonite, I came across a few nice mollusks on my last hunt. South Dakota, I think Fox Hills formation. I'd love some ID help:)
Happy Holidays. I had one other find... not sure if it's a modern bone. I will post for ID help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions