One Of My Fossil Photos Used In A Recently Published Textbook On Historical Geology

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just noticed today that one of my fossil photographs has been used in a recently published eighth edition of the textbook: Historical Geology with the subtitle, Evolution of Earth & Life Through Time by two geology professors at Central Michigan University, Reed Wincander and James S. Monroe (Professor Emeritus). The specific image of mine that they used is on page 253, Figure 12.19; it's a chunk of limestone that I encountered a number of years ago in the lower Permian Owens Valley Group, California, that bears three natural cross-sections of fusulinids--an extinct single-celled animal that secreted small, roughly wheat to American football-shaped shells with a system of geometrically intricate interior chambers. They are especially excellent guide fossils to rocks of Pennsylvanian and Permian geologic age.

You can gain a Google Books preview of the historical geology textbook over at Historical Geology: Historical Geology Evolution of Earth & Life Through Time (as already stated, my photograph is on page 253, Figure 12.19). I don't see where they've given formal attribution (AKA: to "Inyo," for example, although admittedly I haven't yet looked through all the credits), but that's really no matter in actual fact.

The photograph, as it has appeared at my Fossils In Death Valley National Park web page for several years now, can be viewed over at: Fusulinids from the lower Permian Owens Valley Group, California

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread