Texas hunting location

kraken

Dec 9, 2006
I used to find very fine fossils on the north side of the Texas City Dike, even a couple of mastodon and mammoth teeth. All of what is now Galveston Bay at one time was a large area of swamp land. Now they dredge it to repair it. Also, I have found pine and cypress cones that were still fresh that turned out to be 1.3 million years old. You can find them in the black gray clay. There are lots of teeth and bone fragments, be sure and look at the time of low tides.
High Island also has the same clays, take the ferry across from Galveston to Point Boliver and take the that road till it runs out. You will get to a road block and go around it, it's ok. Do not drive on the beach you will get stuck, also there are a lot of naked people there, go past them and look for the clay. Check the beach and the dunes, good stuff there, I once found a nice fossil crab there to.

Good lock

Pat

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awesome have lived here all my life, and never thought about the dike, or down 87....Thank you so much....Tom

OP
OP
gallileo60

gallileo60

Apr 30, 2007
Gulf Coast, Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Ace 250, Garrett 1350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well was on the dike today, and they have brought in so much fill it does not even look like the same place...have been thinking of the Trinity river area...Anyone have any more ideas for around the coast area??? Thanks, Tom

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions