Field Trip To A Vertebrate Fossil Locality In The Coso Range, California

Inyo

Sep 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just recently I uploaded a page called Field Trip To A Vertebrate Fossil Locality In The Coso Range, California.

It's a cyber-visit to the upper Miocene to upper Pliocene Coso Formation in the Coso Mountains, which lie in the transitional Mojave Desert-Great Basin region west of Death Valley National Park, near Olancha, along the eastern side of California's Owens Valley.

The Coso Formation is a roughly six to three million year-old geologic rock deposit that yields quite a number of mineralized mammalian remains, including a vole (the famous Cosomys primus, named for its occurence in the Cosos), rabbits, meadow mice, a hyaenoid dog, peccaries, a mastodon, slender camelids, large grazing horses (including the famous Hagerman Horse--named for its spectacular occurrences at Hagerman Fossil Beds National Monument, Idaho--one of the earliest examples of the genus Equus, which of course includes all modern horses and equids), a large-headed llama, and a bear.

Additional paleontological specimens described from the Coso Formation include: ostracods (a minute bivalved crustacean); algal bodies (stromatolitic developments created by species of blue-green algae); diatoms (a microscopic single-celled photosynthesizing single-celled plant), fish--and, prolific quantities of pollen from conifers and flowering plants (angiosperms), palynological specimens that add invaluable paleobotanical information to the Coso story.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're asking, yes, I'll go. Provided I can collect under your permit, take pictures, and turn over all my finds to you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread