Found in Texas

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497549411.744596.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497549421.597790.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497549431.552541.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497549439.832387.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497549449.002326.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497549457.701477.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1497549465.735656.jpg

Found around Fort Worth Texas. Any ideas?

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Likely ammonite. There are a bunch here in Ft. Worth.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
that's a section of ammonite. I have two of them whole about 15" across.

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
Let's see if this works on my phone....if so, it'll post up one of my big ammonites from Texas.
IMG_2626.JPG

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Nice one. That looks similar to ones recovered from this area.

yup~! this one and few others I have came from your area. Sadly, this and most of my collection sits in storage out of state as I sold my house and haven't figured out yet where I want to settle down.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were to polish it, I am willing to bet that you would see the suture marks on it. Like this..... images.jpg

OP
OP
PennyG

PennyG

Apr 21, 2014
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup~! this one and few others I have came from your area. Sadly, this and most of my collection sits in storage out of state as I sold my house and haven't figured out yet where I want to settle down.

Same situation lol

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were to polish it, I am willing to bet that you would see the suture marks on it. Like this..... View attachment 1462749

Highly doubtful about this particular specimen taking on a polish. The one shown polished (from Madagascar) is calcite and the original piece is primarily limestone.
Just wont take on a nice polish.

Jess B.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Highly doubtful about this particular specimen taking on a polish. The one shown polished (from Madagascar) is calcite and the original piece is primarily limestone.
Just wont take on a nice polish.

Jess B.
I was talking about Penny's find, it does not look like limestone to me. Hers looks like it may have been encased in sand stone, like one I have, that did take a polish. And, some fossils that are in limestone, have parts made of chalcedony, which will take a polish. Unless I am wrong you are assuming I meant the one from Texas? I can definitely see why that one would not polish up.:icon_thumleft: I really don't know if Penny's will take a polish or not TBH. It was just a suggestion. :icon_thumleft: 20151210_105438_1.jpg Just fyi, the half ammonite in the back I found encased in sandstone, polished off the sand and wella! sutures. Although, if one was not sure, I suppose it would definitely be a waste to "ruin" a find just to find out, I can understand that for sure!

Last edited:

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking about Penny's find, it does not look like limestone to me. Hers looks like it may have been encased in sand stone, like one I have, that did take a polish. And, some fossils that are in limestone, have parts made of chalcedony, which will take a polish. Unless I am wrong you are assuming I meant the one from Texas? I can definitely see why that one would not polish up.:icon_thumleft: I really don't know if Penny's will take a polish or not TBH. It was just a suggestion. :icon_thumleft: View attachment 1464952 Just fyi, the half ammonite in the back I found encased in sandstone, polished off the sand and wella! sutures. Although, if one was not sure, I suppose it would definitely be a waste to "ruin" a find just to find out, I can understand that for sure!

Oh but I was talking about Penny's partial. (It may be Mortoniceras) She is probably in a Weno formation. Right area.
The material around Ft Worth is, for the most part, all limestone.
The Paw Paw shale produces some nice ammonites on occasion but in miniature. Never saw one larger than 1.5".
They are pyrite and can take a nice polish.

Jess B.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh but I was talking about Penny's partial. (It may be Mortoniceras) She is probably in a Weno formation. Right area.
The material around Ft Worth is, for the most part, all limestone.
The Paw Paw shale produces some nice ammonites on occasion but in miniature. Never saw one larger than 1.5".
They are pyrite and can take a nice polish.

Jess B.
Cool, sounds like you know your stuff!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread