Fish or amphib fossil?

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today. It was attached to a piece of limestone. It's awfully symmetrical, about 9"x9" and the underside is concave. It appears similar to concrete. Is someone messing with me? Any help identifying this is much appreciated. image.jpg

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it certainly has some affinities to an echinoid, but 9" gotta go with a different guess.
It is not a sea urchin [echinoid]
There are definite inclusions within the stone.
Need some more information, locality and if you know, strata age. Upper/Lower Cretaceous, Devonian, Permian?

Found in stream?, Mountain side? We just need more information.
This has peaked my interest.

Bone2stone

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for responding. The item was found in Central Texas, lower Cretaceous I believe. Several different types of marine fossils can be found on the property from oysters, cephalopod, corals, tube worms, etc. but this is the only thing like this I have found. The property is one big hill, with considerable elevation changes. I will do my best to answer any additional questions.

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Forum, any feedback on this specimen is appreciated. I will be taking several items to the University of Texas ID day but that's not until 9/17. The less rocks I have to carry the better! Please don't hesitate to shoot me any questions. I will also try to post more photos later. Thank you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions